Views
Helpful
Replies

2950 VLAN

cmadiam82
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Guys!

Why does the other VLAN on my catalyst 2950 switch turns to administratively down when i try to up the other vlan. Example: i issue the command no shut on vlan 1 then my vlan 2 will turn to administratively down. same as vlan 3. i configured all the vlans to have different subnets. can someone please help me.

Im trying to use Router on a stick config. Do i need to put ip address on each vlan or i will just create vlan then configure a trunk port for my router on a stick?

tnx in advance....

5 Replies 5

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

The 2950 is a layer 2 switch only . You can only have 1 SVI up at a time . The only thing the ip address is for is to manage the switch and nothing else , the 2950 has no routing functionality. you need a separate router or l2/3 switch to be able to route between vlans . If you have a separate router capable of trunking then you just create the layer 2 vlans on the 2950 (not layer 3 SVI interface) and trunk the uplink to the router to route your vlans .

Tnx Glen for your fast reply. I will try it again and give you feedback.

Chester

I think that is might be helpful to clarify the difference between having multiple VLANs (which the layer 2 switch can do) and having multiple VLAN interfaces (which the layer 2 switch can not do).

A VLAN is a layer 2 concept and the switch can configure multiple VLANs. Each VLAN is a separate layer 2 broadcast domain. The switch maintains a MAC address forwarding table (or CAM table) for each VLAN and can forward from any device in the VLAN to any device in the VLAN.

A VLAN interface is a layer 3 concept. A layer 2 switch can have only 1 active VLAN interface. The real purpose of the VLAN interface is to provide remote management to the switch. If you configure more than 1 VLAN interface on a layer 2 switch then only 1 can be active at a time and any other configured VLAN interface will be administratively down.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Tnx Rick! I will always keep that in mind. :)

sarfaraz1981
Level 1
Level 1

i agree with glen.grant and u can have only layer 2 vlans on cisco 2950 switch, dont assign ip addrees to other vlan apart from mangement vlan.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card