cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unified Messaging is causing delays in Exchange

michele.russo
Level 1
Level 1

We just started the migration of our Voice Mail only system to Unified Messaging within our Corporate Domain. We have Unity 4.2.1, in a failover scenerio. We are running Exchange 2003 and all servers are Windows 2003. We are looking to support roughly 4000 users. The problem is that the Exchange Team has seen significant delays in the delivery of messages to large distribution lists (i.e. more then 200 people). At times it will take more then an hour to deliver a short message to our entire user base (4500) users. Through digging very deep into Exchange with Microsoft developers it was found that the number of Views (32) that Unity applies to every Exchange Users account and the complexity of those views could be the cause. When we deleted the users out of Unity this then removed the CiscoViews and has reduced the delay by @50%. There are still 180 users in the UM Environment. I am wondering if anyone has seen this same problem in their environmnent? If so and you were able to correct this, how?

Also, if anyone can point me to a white paper that details the purpose of each of the views including how and when they get applied to users mailboxes that would be very helpful.

Thanks!

Michele Russo

1 Reply 1

ranpierce
Level 6
Level 6

I am also very interested in this.

There are other causes of delays when going to UM also, mainly the size of the inbox, sent items, and deleted items of each Unity subscriber. Unity has to index, as well as any email reader like outlook and that will cause delays.

While one subscriber's inbox/mailbox is indexing, it seems that everyone on the Unity system is delayed until that subscriber is freed up. Even if they have a smaill inbox. I have tested this.

We are looking as size and count.

I have documentation from cisco if you want it but you will not be happy about it.

rlp

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: