Views
Helpful
Replies

Differences in 2621 series routers

newnetman
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Can someone please explain the difference of the following 2621 series router?.

1.2621 FE VPN

2.2621 XM

3.2621 WIC-1T

4.2621 w/NM

I am confussed of what each is able to accomplish before buying. I am gradually building a lab that could help me up until CCIE level.

Please help me

6 Replies 6

AJAZ NAWAZ
Level 5
Level 5

Hi newnetman,

Buy 2621 XM

The XM stands for extra memory. This is the correct one for CCIE lab.

Need any further help?

Ajaz

pls rate this post if it helped.

Thanks for your response. I wish you could help further to explain the rest.

Kind Regards

Ok sure.

1.2621 FE VPN

This suggests that the router is standard 2621 and not the XM version. The VPN could refer to two things:

a) There is VPN IOS sw pre-loaded

b) There is an HW based VPN AIM module installed. You don't need either for CCIE.

2.2621 XM <-- This device supports extra memory and therefore more will offer more features since it can hold a larger IOS image than non-XM routers. You will be tested on the additional feature that the standard 2621 will not support.

3.2621 WIC-1T

This simply would refer to 2621 standard with a WIC-1T card. We need XM so it's no good to be honest.

4.2621 w/NM

The 2600 series routers have 3module slots in the back as you may know. It has one NM module slot which is a fair bit larger than the other 2 WIC slots. So this description would translate to a standard 2621 router with some sort of NM module. For further information about NM modules please see the following link:

<http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/access/acs_mod/cis2600/hw_inst/nm_inst/nm-doc/ovrnetm.htm>

I must point out that some of these module options can be very expensive but equally others have very little value.

All the best,

Ajaz

pls rate this post if it helped.

Ajaz,

I'm very grateful for your precious time spent to explain all these to me.

Regards

Anytime - no problem :-)

Hi,

If you are considering buying on somewhere like eBay, the best bargains seem to be 2611XM. As far as I can see, the main difference between 2611XM and 2621XM is processor performance, which you normally don't really care about in the lab. Functionally they can do the same tricks.

The series without XM they tend to be cheaper but the memory is smaller. You can run 12.2T in a 2611 by jumping through some elaborate hoops, but they will never run 12.4.

There are models with one or with two ethernets, depending on the fourth digit. Thus, a 2610 has one ethernet, but a 2611 has two.

Final point: the XM series are all FastEthernet. For the non-XM series, the third digit tells you. So 2610 and 2611 are 10 Mbps, whereas 2620 and 2621 are FastEthernet 100 Mbps.

Kevin Dorrell

Luxembourg

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card