cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Virtual Token Ring Interfaces

huw.morgan
Level 1
Level 1

One of my 6500 MSFCs has a number of these virtual interfaces configured - though there are no associated interface configuration commands.

I can't find any explanation about what these are for on CCO. I strongly suspect that I can delete them, but I have to be sure.

Can anyone help?

2 Replies 2

mbinzer
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

virtual tokenring interfaces are typically used in an environment where snasw is used.

Historically this was/is the entry point when you have physical tokenring interfaces and you srb into the virtual tokenring and then you define the virtual tokenring interface as a snasw port. Can also be used with srtlb and physical ethernet.

The downstream appn/sna devices would then connect to the mac address defined on the virtual tokenring interface.

To make a long story short a 6500 msfc does neigher support physical tokenring interfaces nor snasw.

So as long as there is no other configuration on your system. Something like a dspu might be able to use the vtok, then you can simly delete the vtok interfaces.

thanks...

Matthias

Thanks for your advice Matthias.

Kind regards,

Huw

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: