Views
Helpful
Replies

cisco 2811

veena_kompal
Level 1
Level 1

hi,

Im involved in deploying a project with end-to-end encryption using cisco 2811 router. And the number of users in this project would be max 10. Im aware that the cisco 2811 has got on board encryption capability. Hence would it be better if I go for separate(either hardware or software) encryption module or use the existing on board encryption since the number of users are just 10.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Collin Clark
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

There are two options for encrpytion; the main CPU and a VPN/SSL AIM daughter card. Which one to use depends on the amount of traffic to be encrypted/decrypted and the encryption level (ie 3des/AES). If your going to use AES you pretty much have to use the AIM card. In a lab I was able to cripple a couple of 2811's with AES using the main CPU for encryption, with relatively low traffic loads.

HTH and please rate.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Collin Clark
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

There are two options for encrpytion; the main CPU and a VPN/SSL AIM daughter card. Which one to use depends on the amount of traffic to be encrypted/decrypted and the encryption level (ie 3des/AES). If your going to use AES you pretty much have to use the AIM card. In a lab I was able to cripple a couple of 2811's with AES using the main CPU for encryption, with relatively low traffic loads.

HTH and please rate.

ccbootcamp
Level 7
Level 7

It really depends...how big are the pipes? What type of encryption? How much bandwidth do you think are you going to be encrypting?

-brad

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card