cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

AP1231G - Wireless bridge to non-Cisco AP??

stoomey
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to use an AP1231G as a wireless bridge to a non-cisco AP (linksys router) for an ethernet device that is not wireless capable. The AP1231 is running the latest IOS version.

This is a standard 802.11g network with 128WEP. Yes I know it's not ideal, it's not mine. The AP1231 is certainly overkill for this purpose but we already have it so the price is right.

When I attempt to configure the AP as a Workgroup Bridge WGB, it failes and says No Response from the remote AP.

I am trying to determine if you can use the Aironet for this purpose - I have seen docs that imply it will only bridge with Cisco branded equipment.

If any of you have successfully used the AP for this, could you provide a sample config? Thanks!

3 Replies 3

scottmac
Level 10
Level 10

Bridge modes are not standardized. Each vendor uses their own methods to accomplish the bridge and / or extended distance.

Sometimes you can use the AP in "client mode" or sometimes the Workgroup Bridge mode is a Client mode extender.

If you've tried those and they didn't work, chances are they aren't going to.

For bridging (especially distance bridging) you pretty much are stuck using the same vendor and compatible model numbers on both sides.

Good Luck

Scott

Let me rephrase.. I am trying to use the Aironet for something that you could use an everyday SOHO wireless bridge or gaming adapter. Most of these devices will talk to almost any 802.11g SOHO router. As for distance, not very far - around 30-50 feet.

So, if I'm talking about no vendor specific extensions - is it still a no go?

As I said this access point is definitely overkill for what I need it to do, but if I could do it easily with a $70 wireless bridge of almost any make I suppose I had just hoped that the Aironet would do it as well.

I attached the show tech including running config, santitized of any sensitive data..

So assuming I wanted this aironet to be a bridge to a SOHO router (Linksys) and it had a WEP128 key, do I have the correct configuration?

Right now I get the error message in the logs saying it cannot associate, no response.

1231 doesn't support UWGB, it uses IAPP to communicate with the upstream AP that there is one or more wired host behind the WGB. Cisco APs understand the WGB IAPP messages and use them to learn what client MAC addresses are behind the AP. But non-Cisco APs don't understand IAPP, so that's why 1231 can't associate to Linksys SOHO router

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card