cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Traditional classful IP addressing?

ocicat002
Level 1
Level 1

In classful addressing, class A networks would allow up to 16,777,214 hosts be attached to the network. In reality, how was this managed? This many hosts were attached to a single LAN? Was the traffic so light that this many hosts could be attached? Were there no routers used to break up collision domains? As I understand, any bridging employed would only compartmentalize broadcasts.

Any insight which can be shared would be appreciated as this seems to be an unreal number of hosts to have on a single segment.

4 Replies 4

keller.oliver
Level 1
Level 1

Although I wasn't there back in the time :), I guess they did a lot of subnetting.

One of the earlier RFCs talks about a Class A like structure, where you had fixed structure of the IP address : 8 bit network, 24 bit hosts. My suspicicion is that in the early days of ARPANET, they just thought that there never would be more than about 100 networks :D. I don't think they expected 16 million hosts in a single segment.

Quote from that historical RFC 760 :

"Addresses are fixed length of four octets (32 bits). An address begins with a one octet network number, followed by a three octet local address. This three octet field is called the "rest" field." (page 7)

Best wishes,

Oliver

What I haven't been able to confirm is *when* subnetting was made available. Was it available at the advent of ARPANET & beginning of IP networks? If so, then managing Class A networks makes sense with subnets. If some time lapsed between the beginning & the introduction of subnets, I don't see how traffic over large networks could be controlled.

Any clarification anyone can provide would be appreciated. Thanks.

Hi,

I think at that point of time since a lot of IP addresses were available, people were easily assigned class A IP addresss so for example a company is assigned 11.0.0.0 IP address then 11.0.0.1 till 11.255.255.255 IP belongs to him. I am sure noone would have connected so many IP addresses in a single LAN. The inside LAN will be a big structured network with lot of broadcast domains by using routers and layer 3 devices. It is just that for the outside world (internet) the full 11.0.0.0/8 range belongs to one compnay. Ofcourse inside that company the IP addresses were sumnetted.

Regards

Dinesh

http://Knowurtech.com

(Good technical articles. Submit your articles and get featured on our website. Send email to articles@knowurtech.com. To know the benefits http://www.knowurtech.com/be_an_expert.html)

Hi,

I think at that point of time since a lot of IP addresses were available, people were easily assigned class A IP addresss so for example a company is assigned 11.0.0.0 IP address then 11.0.0.1 till 11.255.255.255 IP belongs to him. I am sure noone would have connected so many IP addresses in a single LAN. The inside LAN will be a big structured network with lot of broadcast domains by using routers and layer 3 devices. It is just that for the outside world (internet) the full 11.0.0.0/8 range belongs to one compnay. Ofcourse inside that company the IP addresses were sumnetted.

Regards

Dinesh

http://Knowurtech.com

(Good technical articles. Submit your articles and get featured on our website. Send email to articles@knowurtech.com. To know the benefits http://www.knowurtech.com/be_an_expert.html)

Hi,

Subnetting became "officially" available with the publication of RFC 917 in Oct 1984 but the practise was in use before then. I think initially, before anyone thought of subnets, the practise was to assign host numbers without regard to which LAN a host was on. (Although, I'm not entirely sure how that worked...) And don't forget, Cisco was only founded in 1984.

HTH - plz rate if useful.

Andrew.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: