cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WAAS Speed from local cache

dantemer
Level 1
Level 1

I have a WAAS demo setup in a test lab and have a simulated T1 span connecting two networks. When I transfer a file using CIFS or web initially, I see the traffic flow through the WAN. When I do the transfer a second time, I know it is getting the data from cache as there is no WAN traffic, but I am not getting it at wire speed. It is only coming to the client at about double the T1 speed. I expected almost line speed access when getting data from local cache. Is there a setting I missed or is this expected behaviour?

8 Replies 8

htarra
Level 4
Level 4

Have you had a chance to get the router configuration along with the wccp output? In the event that unoptimized traffic reaches a WAE, the WAE forwards the traffic in pass-through mode without affecting the performance of the application using the passed-through connection. The following url will help you

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/app_ntwk_services/waas/waas/v401/configuration/guide/intro.html#wp1113505

justinl
Level 1
Level 1

Did you get this figured out? I know that if you rename the file or change the file that it has to be sent across the WAN again as the WAAS solution cannot just update incremental changes to files. If you didn't change the file then I would think you should be seeing better speeds once its already come across the WAN.

Justin Lofton

VP of Engineering

justinl@tredent.com

Tredent Data Systems, Inc.

http://www.tredent.com

We changed the setup to use the WAN Bridge emulator package to simulate a T1 rather that rate-limit it and have gotten slightly better results. The main issue at this point is that initial transfers are actually slower than a direct connection with out inline setup. Waiting on a response from our local SE to review the configuration.

Dante,

What model WAE are you using?

If you are running 4.0.13, can you execute the following command from the WAE running the WAFS Edge service while the file is being accessed:

sh stat wafs expert "-server Rx -mbean CifsFileSystemDB -oper query"

Thanks,

Zach

Where is the documentation for the expert mode commands via the CLI or the GUI?

Thanks,

Kevin

Kevin,

Expert Mode is not documented and should only be used under instruction from Cisco.

regards,

Zach

Zach,

Yes, I understand some things could break if you are careful with those commands, but doing some simple "show" commands (or using the gui) shouldn't hurt when troubleshooting without TAC. I've used some expert show commands to see which files are actively being accelerated through the edge device.

A little off-topic, but how are the drives partitioned? Our WAE-512 edge has 2 250GB drives mirrored, the "Maximum Cache Disk Size" only shows 93GB. I understand there are probably OS, swap, and log partitions, but it would be nice to know more definitely how it is split up to explain to a customer why they don't get the "full" size of the drive.

Thanks,

Kevin

Kevin,

As you mentioned, some disk space is taken for system files, logs, etc. The remaining disk space is split evenly between the CIFS and DRE caches.

Zach

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: