cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Configuring PIX to allow DHCPRelay Agent

raun.williams
Level 3
Level 3

I'm attempting to pass IP's from my pix501 (which is the dhcp server) to clients on the wireless lan controller. The controller acts a dhcp relay agent and I get this in my pix debug:

DHCPD: DHCPDISCOVER received from client 0100.18de.19ab.b9 through relay 192.168

, packet discarded

What can I do to force the pix to allow this through and reply with an IP for the client?

Thanks,

Raun

4 Replies 4

irisrios
Level 6
Level 6

On the controller you would normally associate an interface to a WLAN. While creating an interface that corresponds to the WLAN you have an option to specify DHCP server . Configure PIX as a DHCP server and see if this works.

Hi,

I am having the same issue, just wondering if anyone has found a solution.  I am trying to configure an Alcatel Wireless controller to use a PIX firewall.  Wireless clients are not able to obtain an ip address via DHCP.  The PIX reports:

DHCPD: DHCPDISCOVER received from client 0100.1302.5e8f.50 through relay 192.168.10.2

, packet discarded

Notice that the client Mac address is too long  "01" is being added to the beginning.  I have verifified that the Alcatel controller works when connected to a "Linksys" broadband router.

I would greatly appreciate any help you can offer.

Shen

Hi,

To my understanding no Cisco firewall model will support acting as a DHCP server for hosts which DHCP messages are relayed by another device in between the client and the firewall. They would only be able to act as a DHCP server to a directly connected network or relay DHCP messages from a directly connected hosts to a server behind another interface of the same firewall.

- Jouni

Yeah that's the conclusion I came to as well.  From the Cisco PIX command reference:

"The PIX Firewall DHCP server daemon does not support clients that are not directly connected to a

firewall interface"

Thanks for your help!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card