cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Extension Problem

rgomez
Level 1
Level 1

I have a couple of extensions that can not be dialed from the company menu. When I dial into the menu and the system prompts for the extension, I enter the extension and it just pauses and rings back into the main menu. Any ideas to point me in a direct to look at?

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

dtran
Level 6
Level 6

Hi,

Are you using Cisco Unity for your AutoAttendant ? if you are using Cisco Unity then you need to set up either a callhandler or a voicemail box for each of those extensions in order for you to be able dial those extensions from the AutoAttendant.

Hope that helps !!

Danny

View solution in original post

Danny is correct, you will have to set them up with a voicemail box in order to have them available in the directory/auto attendant.

I know it is not what you want, but that is the fix.

Teresa

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

dtran
Level 6
Level 6

Hi,

Are you using Cisco Unity for your AutoAttendant ? if you are using Cisco Unity then you need to set up either a callhandler or a voicemail box for each of those extensions in order for you to be able dial those extensions from the AutoAttendant.

Hope that helps !!

Danny

Not sure to be exact. system was setup by Bell Canada.

I didn't think an extension needed a voicemail box to be able to dail it from a company menu.

If I call our 800 number and out automated menu system is activated, it asked for the extension you want to call. If I enter the extension, it will not ring that phone, but just goes back into the company greeting and menu?

What I am trying to do is:

we have sales people on the road. I have 4 digit extension setup that forward to their cell phones. Those internal directories work if you dial them directly from your phone. If I was to call our 800# and enter an extension of a sales person, it will not ring to that number, but just loop back to the menu system.

Hopefully that is a clearer picture.

The key here is, I do not want voicemail accoutns for these extensions, but I want to be able to access them from the automated system. Unity verison: 4.2

Danny is correct, you will have to set them up with a voicemail box in order to have them available in the directory/auto attendant.

I know it is not what you want, but that is the fix.

Teresa

Ok thanks again. Looks like I have to ask the boss to spend money on more mailbox licenses :)

The amigos above are right. In order for a call to be routed thru the phone system, the extension must have a voice mail box in Unity.

If a call is not picked up and there is no voice mail box, the call can not be routed by Unity (which does the call handling when a call is not picked up). Good luck amigo!

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi RG,

Just to add a note to this good info so far :) You could set these Extensions in Unity up as Internet Subscribers, which does not require a User License but does allow them to be listed in the directory and to be able to be dialed from the Call Handler.

Creating Internet Subscriber Accounts

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps2237/products_feature_guide_chapter09186a0080449a88.html#wp1039005

Hope this helps!

Rob

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: