Expired CCNA Certification

Unanswered Question
Nov 15th, 2007

Hello,

I passed the CCNA certification exam in 2001 and it expired in 2004. Since then I never really dealt with anything Cisco. Recently I started preparing for the 640-801 CCNA certification and because of increasing workload, I pushed it aside for a few weeks. Now, after it is no longer available, I'm thinking about redoing the CCNA 640-802 and I'm about to purchase the Sybex guide within a week or two. Saying all of that, today I discovered on the Cisco recertification page at http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/le3/learning_recertification_training.html that if I pass any 642 certification exam it automatically renews my CCNA.

My question is this:

Since too much time passed since my CCNA expired, should I do the 640-802 or should I go for any 642 exam? My goal is to achieve the CCSP certification.

Thanks in advance to all those who reply to my post.

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
cjbogaards Thu, 11/15/2007 - 13:40

You will want to look at this very closely. From my understanding, your ccna is only renewed while it is still valid. You can't just go and take the 642 exam now that your ccna is expired and have it renewed. You will need to start over with the new ccna track and then while it is a valid cert, you can take a next-level exam and have it renew your certification at that time.

scottmac Thu, 11/15/2007 - 13:40

The "Any 642-" option only applies to certifications that have not yet expired.

Once teh cert ahs expired, it is as if you were never certified (as far as Cisco is concerned) and you must start from the beginning again.

Previous (expired) certification has no status, it's as if you were never certified.

Good Luck

Scott

arie-rechtschaffer Fri, 11/16/2007 - 04:32

Hello,

Could someone who knows please tell what's the difference in study materials between 640-801 and 640-802? I can get some CBTs and a router simulafor that were designed for the 801 exam, but I don't know if they would be enough for the 802 exam. Could someone help please?

Thank you,

Actions

This Discussion