Views
Helpful
Replies

the different between cisco vpn client 4.6 and cisco vpn client 5.0

mylove142
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

In the last time, I use Cisco VPN client v4.6. It is very stable. Now, I update to Cisco VPN client v5.0, I can't use some service.

I want to ask about the different between cisco vpn clien 4.6 and cisco vpn client 5.0 about the port for udp, tcp or some thing like that.

I hope that Cisco engineer about VPN will help me to troubleshoot because my company is ISP.

Thank you very much.

Regards,

5 Replies 5

ajagadee
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The best place to look for information on Cisco VPN Client 4.6 and 5.0 is the release notes.

Release Notes for VPN Client, Release 4.6

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/vpn_client/cisco_vpn_client/vpn_client46/release/notes/46clnt.html

Release Notes for Cisco VPN Client, Release 5.0

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/vpn/client/5_0/50client.htm

Regards,

Arul

Thank Arul. However, I want to ask about the exactly port which Cisco VPN client v5.0 will use. I don't find any information from your link. If you know, please answer me.

Regards,

Khang

VPN Client 5.0 should use the same ports and protocols as the earlier version except the IKE Packets. The source packets of IKE, which used to be Static UDP Port 500 has been changed to dynamic, meaning any UDP Port higher than 1024.

If you'd like to use the VPN client with the old behavior, please open the corresponding

VPN profile with a text editor (*.pcf at Program Files/Cisco Systems/VPN client/profiles),

and enter the following line:

UseLegacyIKEPort=1

This will force the Client to use UDP500 as source port.

Let me know if it helps.

Regards,

Arul

* Please rate helpful posts **

Thank you very much. I solve my problem about Cisco VPN with your advice.

Great! Thanks for the update! When you get a chance, do update the post with answer resolved the issue, so it is easy for other members when they are looking for similar solution.

Thanks,

Arul

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: