Changing 7960 network settings after a factory reset

Unanswered Question
Nov 15th, 2007
User Badges:

I have a 7960 that displays TFTP timeout. I need to set a static IP and the TFTP server address. How do I get to the network settings?

settings key, **#** or **3# don't work.

There are several working 7960 registered with the CME. This phone was moved and factory reset.

Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
AJAZ NAWAZ Fri, 11/16/2007 - 00:11
User Badges:
  • Silver, 250 points or more

Gray how you doing.

"To unlock or lock options in the Network Configuration menu or in the Security Configuration, press **# before you display the menu or while the menu i s displayed. This action either locks or unlocks the options, depending on the previous state.

Make sure to lock options after you have made your changes. "

taken from:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/phones/ps379/products_administration_guide_chapter09186a008024d865.html#wp1075034

hth,

Ajaz

GrayH Fri, 11/16/2007 - 04:16
User Badges:

Thank you for the responce Ajaz. However there is nothing to unlock. I get no menus at all.

After powering on the display shows:

Configuring VLAN

Configuring IP

Requesting Configuration

TFTP Timeout

After that the entire phone is locked up.

I think it is looking for the default TFTP server which is not the address of our CME.

I also think it is requesting a DHCP address by default. This sites DHCP server is a VPN router which does nor support option 150 so I can't configure the proper CME's TFTP server address.

I can't get to the Network congifuration screen. Is this phone completely factory defaulted and requires access to a TFTP server with the default name?

Thank again,

Gray

paolo bevilacqua Fri, 11/16/2007 - 04:21
User Badges:
  • Super Gold, 25000 points or more
  • Hall of Fame,

Founding Member

Hi,

Use reset sequence: Keep pressed # when turning on. As phone display "detected", release and press:1234567890*#

Confirm reset network configuration when asked.

Make sure you dhcp/tftp settings are correct phone should reflash and start over.

Hope this helps, please rate post if it does!

GrayH Fri, 11/16/2007 - 04:52
User Badges:

Thankyou for the response. This sequence is what caused the "problem". Except the sequence is 0123456789*0# not 0*# (probably a typo). Once this sequence is entered the phone asks Save network cfg? 1=yes 2=no, either response sensds the phone into

configure VLAN

configure IP

requesting configuration

TFTP timeout sequence

What am I missing?

paolo bevilacqua Fri, 11/16/2007 - 05:14
User Badges:
  • Super Gold, 25000 points or more
  • Hall of Fame,

Founding Member

Hi,

Sorry I hadn't read your question in full.

yes the phone needs to connected to functional dhcp and tftp network to be made functional again.

Actions

This Discussion