How to Connect a Home Lab Together?

Answered Question
Nov 15th, 2007

Hello Everyone:

Can someone please tell me how to connect a home lab together.

I have a Cisco Home Lab that I need to know how to connect for my CCNA Studies.

This is the equipment:

(1)2621 (2-10/100FE, 1-Wic-2T)

(1)2524 (1-FT1/T1 CSU/DSU, 1-S/Sdb60, 1-AUI /

ethernet, 1-10bT)

(1)2520 (2-S/S, 2-A/S, 1-AUI/ethernet, 1- 10bT, 1-Bri)

(1)2514 (2-AUI/ethernet, 2-S/S db60)

(1)2511 (2-A/S, 2-S/S, 1-AUI/ethernet)

(1)2950-24 Switch

(1)2924XL-24 Switch

I would greatly appreciate any input. You can email me if you like at glisboajr@gmail.com]. Thanks

Correct Answer by Kevin Dorrell about 9 years 3 months ago

There are many ways of connecting this kit together depending on the topology you want to test. Indeed, connecting the kit together is a useful training exercise in itself.

One approach is to buy a workbook and to connect it all together according to case studies it contains. Once it is all connected together and you have completed the lab, go on to do another lab. You might need to re-cable, or or might simply need to adapt the lab exercise to the cabling you have already set up. Either way, it is a useful training exercise.

Get yourself a set uf useful cables. For the serial connections you will need some DB60-DB60 DTE-DCE cross cables. I bought a nice set of 10 short ones (1m or 3 ft) that cost me only $10 each. For the Ethernets you will need some plain short cables, and maybe a few crossed ones for switch-to-switch or router-to-router connections.

One thing you seem to be missing from your lab is a terminal server. That is extremely useful because it will allow you to connect to all the consoles at the same time, and have a window on your PC for each box in your lab. A suitable model would be 2509, 2509-RJ, 2512, or 2512-RJ. If you get the non-RJ model, don't forget to get an octal cable to connect your consoles as well.

I hope that helps. If you have any more specific questions, please just come back with them.

Kevin Dorrell

Luxembourg

Overall Rating: 5 (5 ratings)
Correct Answer
Kevin Dorrell Fri, 11/16/2007 - 00:34

There are many ways of connecting this kit together depending on the topology you want to test. Indeed, connecting the kit together is a useful training exercise in itself.

One approach is to buy a workbook and to connect it all together according to case studies it contains. Once it is all connected together and you have completed the lab, go on to do another lab. You might need to re-cable, or or might simply need to adapt the lab exercise to the cabling you have already set up. Either way, it is a useful training exercise.

Get yourself a set uf useful cables. For the serial connections you will need some DB60-DB60 DTE-DCE cross cables. I bought a nice set of 10 short ones (1m or 3 ft) that cost me only $10 each. For the Ethernets you will need some plain short cables, and maybe a few crossed ones for switch-to-switch or router-to-router connections.

One thing you seem to be missing from your lab is a terminal server. That is extremely useful because it will allow you to connect to all the consoles at the same time, and have a window on your PC for each box in your lab. A suitable model would be 2509, 2509-RJ, 2512, or 2512-RJ. If you get the non-RJ model, don't forget to get an octal cable to connect your consoles as well.

I hope that helps. If you have any more specific questions, please just come back with them.

Kevin Dorrell

Luxembourg

tperrier Fri, 11/16/2007 - 01:05

The 2511 would be more useful than the 2512, since it has an Ethernet port instead of a Token Ring one.

Kevin Dorrell Fri, 11/16/2007 - 01:37

Absolutely right! Sorry about that, I got the wrong column in my product guide. Forget the 2512 ... if you want 8 console lines then go for the 2509 models; if you want 16 console lines then go for the 2511 models.

(In fact, I should have seen my mistake because 2512-RJ does not exist.)

Kevin Dorrell

Luxembourg

Kevin Dorrell Fri, 11/16/2007 - 03:55

Oops, I see it now. You have a 2511 in your list. What confused me was that you didn't mention the 16 A/S interfaces in your list. I must be getting old - I really cannot remember which models have which interfaces!

keeleym has given you a really good response there, with diagrams and all. Very impressive.

Kevin Dorrell

Luxembourg

keeleym@o2.ie Fri, 11/16/2007 - 03:09

Hi There

First I would like to know if you have the required cables to connect this equipment together?

If so then here is my suggestion (see attached diagram or click the link below).

http://homepage.eircom.net/~keeleym/glisboajr_home_lab.jpg

For this configuration you will the following cables,

4 x DB60 DTE DCE crossover cables

3 x CAT5 straight through patch leads (at least)

2 x CAT5 crossover patch leads

1 x Octal cable from Access server to Console ports on the other equipment.

2 x AUI transceivers for Ethernet ports on 2514 & 2524 routers.

For help configuring the 2520 as a frame switch see here http://www.thebryantadvantage.com/Frame%20Relay%20Switch.htm

For help configuring your Access Server see here http://www.thebryantadvantage.com/CCNACCNPHomeLabAccessServerTutorial.htm

Hope that gives you some ideas for configuring your home lab.

Best Regards,

Michael

glisboajr Fri, 11/16/2007 - 08:59

Hello Guys:

You guys are awesome. Thank you Kevin Dorrell, tperrier and keeleym. To Keeleym: no I don't have the cables yet, but that is not a problem. I'll get them ASAP. I just need to know what connection goes to what interface. I thought that once you connect the different routers/switches you can do all the labs without re-cabling. By reading the thread responses, I guess the connections depend on what kind of specific lab I'm doing at that time. Thanks a million.

George Lisboa Jr.

glisboajr@gmail.com

pipemajor Fri, 11/16/2007 - 10:16

Re: WIC-2T card. If I'm not mistaken, that will not accept a DB-60 serial cable?

keeleym@o2.ie Fri, 11/16/2007 - 12:00

Hi Pipemajor

You are absolutely correct. The will teach me to read posts more carefully.

glisboajr:

For the connection from the Frame Hub (2621) to the Frame Switch you will need to purchase a smart serial (DTE) to DB60 (DCE) cable or purchase a WIC-1T card (around $30-$35) from Ebay and swap it in for the WIC-2T card.

The DB60 end which goes to your frame switch (2520) requires the DCE end as it is the service providers Frame switch (which your 2520 is emulating) that provides the clocking in a Frame Relay setup.

For the cable, check here http://dantrakuk.com/2660.html

For information about the different serial cards check here http://dantrakuk.com/Informational/informational.htm

Although this seller is located in the UK, I have used him in the past and have found him to be excellent to deal with and delivery was really fast, but I live in Ireland. If you are in the US you will most likely find sellers closer to you also.

Best Regards,

Michael

glisboajr Sat, 11/17/2007 - 12:14

Hi Michael:

I have an extra 2514 and 2524(2 each).

In the diagram you created it states that frame-spoke-1 is a 2524 router. But the 2524 has only 1 serial module. Can I use another 2514 instead? Just like frame-spoke-2? This one has two serial ports. If so, can I use the two 2554? Where do I put them in the lab scheme? Thanks for your input. It is invaluable.

George Lisboa Jr.

glisboajr@gmail.com

ellis_b Sat, 11/17/2007 - 21:55

yes, you can use the 2514 with the two serial ports and your FR cloud.

thanks,

Brad Ellis

CCIE#5796 (R&S / Security)

CCSI# 30482

CEO / President

CCBOOTCAMP - A Cisco Sponsored Organization (SO)

Email: brad AT ccbootcamp.com

Toll Free: 877-654-2243

Direct: +1-702-968-5100 = Outside the USA

FAX: +1-702-446-8012

YES! We take Cisco Learning Credits!

Training And Remote Racks: http://www.ccbootcamp.com

keeleym@o2.ie Sun, 11/18/2007 - 02:15

Hi George

Yes of course you can use the second 2514 in place of the 2524. Again that was my mistake in reading the available interfaces incorrectly.

I have modified the lab diagram to show how it is possible to incorporate the 2 x 2524 routers into your lab.

The link is the same as above,

http://homepage.eircom.net/~keeleym/glisboajr_home_lab.jpg

And I have attached the updated diagram to this post.

Sorry for any confusion caused.

Best Regards and Good Luck with the studies,

Michael

glisboajr Sun, 11/18/2007 - 13:01

Hi Michael:

You don't have to apologize for anything. You have gone far and beyond the call of duty. Your inputs and/or feedback are great. I really appreciate it. Thanks a million.

Best Regards,

George Lisboa Jr

glisboajr@gmail.com

Actions

This Discussion