cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Rating questions as well as responses

Kevin Dorrell
Level 10
Level 10

This is an idea that may overlap with the "Exchange Ideas" suggestion, but an alternative implementation.

I think it would be useful to be able to rate questions as well as responses.

NetPro seems to be based on the problem solving model. Someone posts a problem, someone else responds, and anyone can rate the response. It would be great to be able to rate the original posting posting too. This would be useful if:

1. The original posting is a useful piece of research, an interesting observation, or a particularly perceptive question.

2. The original posting is not a question at all, and does not demand any response.

3. Someone wants to flag the whole conversation as useful, and not just an individual contribution.

What do we think?

Kevin Dorrell

Luxembourg

4 Replies 4

andrew.burns
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Kevin,

That's an excellent idea - although it'll probably run into the same issues as answers with a lot of great questions going unrated.

regards,

Andrew.

bvsnarayana03
Level 5
Level 5

Sorry Kevin, but I've my own thoughts here.

The concept of ratings is to identify the valued information. If a response gets rated, its as good as the question itself got rated. after all it not just indicates the gud answer but a gud question as well.

Though the concept of rating a question gives more weightage to the author of the question & not to the response. This would flood the forum in an attempt to score more. also, different questions may be of different interest to different people. For instance, if someone rates a question on multicast as 5, this may be totally useless to someone who doesnt understand it. Whereas rating an answer shows the importance of the response as viewed by the author of question.

tsteger1
Level 8
Level 8

Hi Kevin,

I like your idea. I've seen several questions that uncovered a bug and the original poster opened a TAC case and posted a solution or workaround.

Tom

Hi,

I agree with Kevin's idea (+5 Kevin) of rating a question itself.

However instead of rating the question based on the points and getting those points added to a usersaccount, why not have Star Marking just to judge the quality of the question.

Nobody gets any points on the rating of the question, but at least based on the star rating people would be able identify interesting questions and may be NetPro can publish 10 most interesting questions monthly, which can provide good database for people to learn, which we might have missed to look just because we never browsed through that specific post.

-> Sushil

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Quick Links