6509 how do you shutdown a module prior to removing it?

Unanswered Question
Nov 16th, 2007

In order to remove a module I am not using in a 6509.

i attempted to run this command from global config mode. I think i might need to log into the IDSM-2 CLI ?

For Cisco IOS software:

hw-module module module_number shutdown

Overall Rating: 5 (1 ratings)
Jon Marshall Fri, 11/16/2007 - 02:11

Hi

You should be able to shutdown the IDSM-2 module from the command line. I have used the command you tried many times on IDSM-2 and FWSM and it always worked but you don't run it from global config mode just from enable mode.

How are you verifying it has not worked. I run a "sh module" after issuing the command and the status should say "shutdown".

HTH

Jon

evan2five Sun, 11/18/2007 - 14:22

the command does not go in, comes back with unknown command and with the '^' pointer. I was attempting to run this in global config mode, not enable. Perhaps that was the issue?

Jon Marshall Sun, 11/18/2007 - 23:39

If you are running IOS then yes, that will be your problem. You can only run this command from enable mode. After running it you can run a "sh module" and look at the status of the relevant module.

Jon

Pavel Bykov Sun, 11/18/2007 - 23:56

or you can run this command with "do" prefix. Like: "do hw-module module module_number shutdown". "Do" executes ENABLE mode commands from CONFIG mode

Wilson Samuel Mon, 11/19/2007 - 05:48

Hi,

If you have physicall access to the switch, you may choose the shutdown "button" on the module to bring the module down.

Kind Regards,

Wilson Samuel

Paul Murray Thu, 04/30/2015 - 01:46

To powerdown module 8, in conf t mode type:

no power enable module 8

You'll need get a status as below of PwrDown:

8  Distributed Forwarding Card WS-F6700-DFC3C     SAL14491WAE  1.4    PwrDown

Actions

This Discussion