cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

6509 how do you shutdown a module prior to removing it?

evan2five
Level 1
Level 1

In order to remove a module I am not using in a 6509.

i attempted to run this command from global config mode. I think i might need to log into the IDSM-2 CLI ?

For Cisco IOS software:

hw-module module module_number shutdown

7 Replies 7

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi

You should be able to shutdown the IDSM-2 module from the command line. I have used the command you tried many times on IDSM-2 and FWSM and it always worked but you don't run it from global config mode just from enable mode.

How are you verifying it has not worked. I run a "sh module" after issuing the command and the status should say "shutdown".

HTH

Jon

the command does not go in, comes back with unknown command and with the '^' pointer. I was attempting to run this in global config mode, not enable. Perhaps that was the issue?

If you are running IOS then yes, that will be your problem. You can only run this command from enable mode. After running it you can run a "sh module" and look at the status of the relevant module.

Jon

or you can run this command with "do" prefix. Like: "do hw-module module module_number shutdown". "Do" executes ENABLE mode commands from CONFIG mode

Wilson Samuel
Level 7
Level 7

Hi,

If you have physicall access to the switch, you may choose the shutdown "button" on the module to bring the module down.

Kind Regards,

Wilson Samuel

thanks guys, got this sorted.

Paul Murray
Level 1
Level 1

To powerdown module 8, in conf t mode type:

no power enable module 8

You'll need get a status as below of PwrDown:

8  Distributed Forwarding Card WS-F6700-DFC3C     SAL14491WAE  1.4    PwrDown

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card