Level 1
Level 1

I have a 3560 with no IOS how can I load a new IOS on it

2 Replies 2

graemeporter
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there!

Unfortunately, there's not too many ways of doing this. You could install the IOS by way of xmodem transfer.

This is done over the console cable, and can take a long time, as the transfer rate is about 9600 bps.

What you need is an xmodem-capable terminal program; a popular one to use is TeraTerm Pro, which is free to download (a quick Google search will give you a link).

Boot the switch; with no IOS image loaded, it will start into ROMMON. You will need to have your IOS image saved to your PCs' hard drive and in a readily-accessible location.

Once in ROMMON, you need to tell the switch you're going to copy a file to it via xmodem. The command is:

xmodem -cs9600

The terminal will prompt you to begin the file transfer. From TeraTerm's "File" menu, go to "Transfer" -> "xmodem" -> "Send..." and choose the image file.

It'll take some time, but once it's copied, you should be able to boot the switch into the new image by typing "boot" or resetting the switch.

The full guide is available here :

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps259/products_tech_note09186a008015bfac.shtml

Hope this helps!

Kind regards,

Graeme

jfeo
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks what I was l00king for

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card