cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Extending VLANS through tunnel, can it be done?

saitkenhead
Level 1
Level 1

We have Campus network consisting of 3 different areas.Just wondering if I can extend VLANS over routed OSPF Point to Point links through tunnel. All areas are equiped with 6509's with sup 720 with 12.2(18)SXD7b IOS connected over fiber backbone. VLAN 201 is Isolated and does not need to communicate with any other VLAN.Vlan 201 has non routable protocols and needs a layer 2 connection to other areas. Is L2TP a solution and if so what precautions should be taken. Topology is included in the attatched.

Thanks in advance.

5 Replies 5

aghaznavi
Level 5
Level 5

You can achive your goals through Private VLAN (PVLAN) is a VLAN with configuration for Layer 2 (L2) isolation from other ports within the same broadcast domain or subnet.

Assign a specific set of ports within a PVLAN to control access among the ports at L2. PVLANs and normal VLANs can be configured on the same switch.

The three types of PVLAN ports are:

Promiscuous

Isolated

Community

Core switches are connected by routed OSPF point to point links. There is no layer 2 connection between core switches so I am not sure how PVLANS will solve problem. Please see original attached Topology Jpeg.

Thank you for your response.

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You might be able to use bridging to make this happen . Might want to take a look at configuring fallback bridgeing and see if something like that might work . We used to bridge non routed protcols across a big ospf network back when we had a lot of the old DEC LAT stuff , Used a single bridge group to do this. I know I'm dating myself .

I am going to look at that.

Thanks for the response.

Have thought about using l2tpv3 or MPLS VPLS to extend your VLAN?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card