cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

3750 Stack Master Re-election

e.huntley
Level 1
Level 1

We are running through some test scenarios before deploying a 3750 stack into production.

The only issue we have really run into is when we physically lose the stack master, i.e. pulling the plug. Our default gateway is on a core switch. When we unplug the stackmaster, all local layer 2 traffic on the stack comes right back up.

But we cannot get to the default gateway for 45 seconds. Basically I guess the re-election is happening in the background...or I could be wrong.

Anyway, am I looking at the right thing or should I be looking somewhere else, or is that just how it is.

I say 45 seconds because we can replicate the situation on demand and the results are the same everytime.

Thanks in advance

2 Replies 2

Nicholas Poole
Level 1
Level 1

When I have tested a stack master failure I have seen outages of about 25-34 seconds. I believe it is stack ring negotiation which is going on.

Have you set the stack priority in a determined order such as 15,14,13,12,11...?

Yes, I have. If you have seen an extended period then that helps some to at least know it takes some time. I just wanted to make sure I was not missing some hidden paramater or something.

Thank You

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card