cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

3750 Stack Master Re-election

e.huntley
Level 1
Level 1

We are running through some test scenarios before deploying a 3750 stack into production.

The only issue we have really run into is when we physically lose the stack master, i.e. pulling the plug. Our default gateway is on a core switch. When we unplug the stackmaster, all local layer 2 traffic on the stack comes right back up.

But we cannot get to the default gateway for 45 seconds. Basically I guess the re-election is happening in the background...or I could be wrong.

Anyway, am I looking at the right thing or should I be looking somewhere else, or is that just how it is.

I say 45 seconds because we can replicate the situation on demand and the results are the same everytime.

Thanks in advance

2 Replies 2

Nicholas Poole
Level 1
Level 1

When I have tested a stack master failure I have seen outages of about 25-34 seconds. I believe it is stack ring negotiation which is going on.

Have you set the stack priority in a determined order such as 15,14,13,12,11...?

Yes, I have. If you have seen an extended period then that helps some to at least know it takes some time. I just wanted to make sure I was not missing some hidden paramater or something.

Thank You

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card