CCNA question

Unanswered Question
Nov 16th, 2007

Hi Gures' I am new to Networking field. Need help on topic. If I want to connect two hubs together, which cable 1.straight through 2.cross , is used? I mean what is the rule for connecting a pc to a hub or switch, or switch with switch? Sorry for silly question????Thanks for reply...

I have this problem too.
0 votes
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Overall Rating: 4.5 (4 ratings)
vgruiavgruia Sat, 11/17/2007 - 17:58

Since a hub is a stupid device, it has no switching/routing intelligence, the question is what are you connecting to the other end of the two hubs? the hub is just a continuation of what you are starting. ex: 1 pc at the end of one hub, another at the other end of hub 2. in this case you will need a cross over. make sense?

ellis_b Sat, 11/17/2007 - 21:54

it's not a silly question at all.

for two hubs, use a xover

for a hub to a switch, use a xover

for a switch to a switch, use a xover

for a pc to a switch, use a straight through

for a pc to a hub, use a straight through

for a pc to a pc, use a xover.

that being said, some of the newer cisco switches will auto-detect and take care of the xover for you if you use a straight through cable.


Brad Ellis

CCIE#5796 (R&S / Security)

CCSI# 30482

CEO / President

CCBOOTCAMP - A Cisco Sponsored Organization (SO)

Email: brad AT

Toll Free: 877-654-2243

Direct: +1-702-968-5100 = Outside the USA

FAX: +1-702-446-8012

YES! We take Cisco Learning Credits!

Training And Remote Racks:

tahir1234 Sun, 11/18/2007 - 09:04

Thanks ellis. Once again, mean that I should remember this stuff and will have to check which device is going with which, or we can make a general rule for this? thanks for reply.

tahir1234 Sun, 11/18/2007 - 09:06

Ellis You did mention about what cable we will use from a pc to router ethernet , means xover or straight....thanks

LordFlasheart Sun, 11/18/2007 - 10:33


I like to remember the connections as points on a compass.

Host (PC) = North

Switch = East

Router = South

Hub = West

If you connect North to East, East to South, South to West, and West to North that gives you straight-through cabling.

If you connect North to South, and East to West, thereby CROSSING the centre they are your crossover cablings. Then all you need to remember is if it is like-for-like (i.e. router to router, switch to switch etc, it is a crossover cable).




This Discussion