cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can WLSE configured as WLC for LWAP ?

aung.naingoo
Level 1
Level 1

Just a quick question, can it be able to configure WLSE to be able to act as WLC for LWAPs?

1.) Does it able to do so?

2.) Or can the firmware be upgraded/updated in order to do this?

7 Replies 7

pmccubbin
Level 5
Level 5

The short answer is no.

WLSE is for autonomous APs and the WLC is for LWAPPs.

You might be able to upgrade your APs to LWAPP but you can't upgrade the CiscoWorks WLSE so that it can support LWAPPs.

Hope this helps.

Best,

Paul

I've noticed WLSE cannot act as WLC. But just wondered if the firmware can be changed in order to convert to WLC. (So, the answer is "NO" for this then).

Another thing I want to know also is that is it possible to deploy MESH using Autonomous APs without a WLC?

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Aung,

Here is some related info;

Cisco Wireless Mesh Networking Solution Overview

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/netsol/ns621/netbr0900aecd8036884a.html

You can convert the WLSE to a WCS (not WLC);

CiscoWorks WLSE (Models 1130-19 or 1133) can be converted into a server that runs Cisco WCS. This allows customers of CiscoWorks WLSE to migrate to the Cisco Unified Wireless Network architecture using their existing CiscoWorks WLSE platform. CiscoWorks WLSE conversion SKUs are price-adjusted to make transitioning from CiscoWorks WLSE to Cisco WCS cost-effective.

Once converted, a CiscoWorks WLSE is no longer a self-contained appliance; it becomes a server that runs Cisco WCS software using RedHat Linux ES v. 4.0. The converted CiscoWorks WLSE operates as a brand new Cisco WCS installation and supports only lightweight access points and wireless LAN controllers that are running Lightweight Access Point Protocol (LWAPP). Stand-Alone (autonomous) access points are not supported by a converted CiscoWorks WLSE.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/cscowork/ps3915/products_data_sheet0900aecd804b4646.html

Conversion of a WLSE Autonomous Deployment to a WCS Controller Deployment

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6305/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a00806b71db.html

Hope this helps!

Rob

Hi,

Take a look at the serial number plate on the bottom (underside) panel of the WLSE to check whether your 1130 is in actual fact an 1130-19 as I had to. It would seem 1130s cannot be converted to WCS but 1130-19s can.

Scott

Am still a bit confuse though. Do I still need WLC if I upgrade WLSE to WCS?

Hi Aung,

Yes, you still need the WLC to run the LWAPP infrastructure. The WCS is a Management piece that is part of puzzle.

Hope this helps!

Rob

The WLC or Wireless Lan Controller is what all converted LWAPP Access Points connect to for their brain power. The WCS, or Wirelss Control Server is simply the management piece as Rob pointed out. The WCS basically performs the same functions as a WLSE, except it seems to work :D

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card