Cisco Press, Sybex or other?

Unanswered Question
Nov 17th, 2007

Hi, I'm looking for a good book based training for the CCNA 640-802. What would be the best book to study from Cisco Press Certification Liabrary, the Sybex guide or any other guide? Also, which router or network simulator do you recommed for this certification exam?

Thank you in advance

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 2.5 (2 ratings)
ellis_b Sat, 11/17/2007 - 21:52

Ouch. Yes, I seem to prefer Cisco press as well...

Don't get a simulator. Get a couple of 2501s and learn on some real devices.

thanks,

Brad Ellis

CCIE#5796 (R&S / Security)

CCSI# 30482

CEO / President

CCBOOTCAMP - A Cisco Sponsored Organization (SO)

Email: brad AT ccbootcamp.com

Toll Free: 877-654-2243

Direct: +1-702-968-5100 = Outside the USA

FAX: +1-702-446-8012

YES! We take Cisco Learning Credits!

Training And Remote Racks: http://www.ccbootcamp.com

miller811 Mon, 11/19/2007 - 05:26

I ended up using 4 sources,

Sybex purchased 3 years ago, Cisco Press purchased 1 year ago, Chris Bryant's program purchased in late September, and I setup a home lab. I passed the CCNA in late October. The more sources of information the better.

Hi There

My 2c worth. I used the Sybex book by Todd Lammle and thought it was quite helpful. The section on subnetting and how to subnet in your head was quite good in my opinion. There is quite a lot of information in this book although I am not sure if there has been a updated release printed for the new CCNA exam.

I also used Chris Bryant's study guide and his CBT (produced by TrainSignal) and found these really good. Concise and to the point. I aslo have a home lab. The experienced gained configuring and trouble shooting on real hardware just can not be underestimated.

For my CCNP studies however I have still gone with Chris Bryant's material but have switched to the Cisco Press books for both CCNP along with a couple from the CCIE track.

Best Regards,

Michael

cyphur353 Mon, 11/19/2007 - 06:54

I'm a fan of CiscoPress. In my experience, they've always covered the subjects needed to pass the test. Experience with the IOS helps connect the dots.

srue Mon, 11/19/2007 - 11:32

i always recommend sybex for ccna, cisco press for everything else.

sybex is easy to follow, especially if you don't have any prior experience. also, you will have a hard time finding anything negative about the way lammle explains subnetting.

jlhainy Fri, 11/23/2007 - 15:48

I second srue's recommendation. Todd Lammle does the best subnetting explaination in a book I have ever seen. It is far superior than Cisco Press. However, Cisco Press does far better to explain other topics that Lammle does not or even skips. I actually used both sybex and cisco press for the CCNA and I have used just Cisco Press for the CCNP and so far so good.

howtonetwork Tue, 11/20/2007 - 02:15

Hi,

There are many books and resources out there and with the amount of material in the syllabus now you would be expected to read around several subjects rather than hope one book will teach you everything.

Sims are no good now, especially since you need to use the GUI based SDM.

There are lots of videos on the web including youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ES1VtDwbqRQ

Plus free online exams, crams and study guides.

Hope it helps.

Paul

www.howtonetwork.net

www.subnetting-secrets.com

www.networksinc.co.uk

Actions

This Discussion