Question about CCSP

Unanswered Question
Nov 18th, 2007

Hi!

Recently i've completed the CCNA certification and i would like to continue to CCSP - i wanted to ask you:

1) what kind of jobs can i fit in with CCSP?

2) I learned CCNA by myself from a book and the web - will i be able to do so preparing and learning for CCSP? are there any books about it?

Thanks in advance,

Oren.

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
ellis_b Sun, 11/18/2007 - 17:38

CCSP is security related and there are cisco press books you can use for prep. Getting a network security job of any complex level will require some experience. Do you have any network security experience? Firewall? IPS? VPNs? Anti-X?

The more experience you have and understanding of how network security works, the better your chances will be of landing a network security job. The CCSP certainly shows some aptitude of the core cisco security technologies. Get a pix 501, a cheap ISR router, and an ips sensor. Setup TACACS and radius at your house. Configure WEP, WPA, WPA2, LEAP, EAP, etc on your home wireless network. The more practice you get, the better.

-brad

milkdroogy Mon, 11/19/2007 - 10:40

Thanks for the reply -

Unfortunately i have no experience at all in the security field, at least not in the areas you have mentioned. So does that mean i wont be able to get in any security related job? even if completed CCSP?

can you point me to the right books - I'm clueless about it.

milkdroogy Mon, 11/19/2007 - 10:57

Another thing -

I have noticed that in order to pass the CCSP you have to complete couple of exams - which one of them i can choose between 3:

CANAC

HIPS

or

MARS

what does that mean if i choose something over the other? and what is known to be the most "Respectable" choice?

srue Mon, 11/19/2007 - 11:09

You probably won't be able to get a job right away in a security position, based on certs alone. You're more likely to get a jr level network admin position with your CCNA - which is why you should start now looking for a general networking job. If you're lucky, or if you play your cards right, you can evolve that position into a security related role, or take that experience and apply it elsewhere in more of a security role.

Instead of focusing on the electives right away, start off with the other required exams. They are all respectable choices, btw, and all applicable in the real world.

As far as 'hands on' experience while studying for your CCSP, you could always to online rack rentals.

good luck.

ellis_b Mon, 11/19/2007 - 11:22

you can pick whichever one you want. We teach the HIPS course for our CCSP boot camp. I personally like the HIPS course as I think it's generally more applicable than the MARS and Clean Access products. (just my $.02)

As far as books go for learning network security:

Older book, but still good:

http://safari.ciscopress.com/1587050250

wireless security book:

http://safari.ciscopress.com/1587051540

general security:

http://safari.ciscopress.com/9780596510305

Actions

This Discussion