Views
Helpful
Replies

point client to specific access point

ney25
Level 2
Level 2

Hi NetPro,

does anyone knows how / what command use for AP setting. which means i want this user only associate with specific AP only.

i am using Cisco Aironet 1200 series.

your reply will be higly appreciated.

regards,

Jackal

4 Replies 4

bbxie
Level 3
Level 3

You can use MAC address ACLs to block or allow association to the access point.

AP(config)#access-list access-list-number

{deny | permit} source [source-wildcard]

AP(config)#dot11 association access-list access-list-number

Hi BBxie,

thanks for reply, your reply very helpful.

here with another question which i am in doubt.

now, i am sitting in the room and inside the room only 1 Access Point which 3 - 5 meters away for me. but i dont understand why i cant associate to this access point , my laptop always surf by another access point which out of the room and either further than the ap in the room.

what do you think ? anyone can explain to me ... your reply will be highly appreciated.

regards,

Jackal

there's many possibilities,you should provide more detailed information about your environment, for example: AP model/firmware version, laptop model/OS/wirless card driver, parameters configured in the AP and laptop.

Typically there're some possible reasons:

1. laptop wirless driver bug or compatibility issue with AP

2. No matter what reasons, if your laptop had already associated to the outside AP(for example, inside AP powered up later; there's some time, the inside AP lost connection to laptop), if the outside AP's signal had not dropped to a very poor strength level(roaming threshold), your laptop will not roam to a better signal inside AP

if you only want to associate to one AP such as performing a site survey, then change the ssid.

when you do this perform a site survey to fix problem 2

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: