How to Connect to Home Lab from the Outside (internet)?

Unanswered Question
Nov 18th, 2007

Hello:

I would like to know how can I connect to my home cisco lab from the outside world (internet) when I am not at home.

I have cable DSL coming into the house and connected to a VPN router that has a 4 port switch. How do I connect the home cisco lab to this VPN router in order for me to be able to use the home lab from the outside (somebody elses house other than mine)? This is my home lab:

1-2511 terminal server

1-2621 frame relay hub

1-2620 frame relay switch

2-2514 frame relay spokes

1-2524 frame relay spoke

1-2950 switch for vlan trunking

1-2924 switch for etherchannel

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

George Lisboa Jr.

[email protected]

Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
cyphur353 Mon, 11/19/2007 - 06:59

What kind of VPN router do you have?

In general, you need a device with a public foward facing IP you can telnet/ssh into, which then also faces your private network, and allows telnet access to your terminal server. The VPN router, depending on model, could facilitate this - again, depending on model and capabilities.

ellis_b Mon, 11/19/2007 - 07:28

setup a static NAT on your VPN router for tcp port 23 with your 2511. then you can telnet to your public ip address and your vpn router will translate the incoming port 23 tcp connection to your 2511 terminal server. make sense?

if you dont have a static ip address for your DSL, then you will have to use a dynamic dns service.

hth

-brad

desai.jaideep Sat, 11/24/2007 - 06:55

Hi

There are serial-ethernet converters available in maket. For. eg : moxa.

http://www.moxa.com/product/Serial_to_Ethernet_Products.htm

ALL the consoles of your devices would be going into that equipment. So, just by doing DMZ on your home internet router(which is available in any router available) and installing client software, you can access all your devices.

This would give you the power of erasing configurations and even troubleshoot better b'coz you would have the direct console connectivity.

Regards

JD

Actions

This Discussion