cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Restrict SSID to Buildings on Campus with WCS

chris.brunt
Level 1
Level 1

I am managing a deployment of 500+ access points using WISMs and WCS (both v4.2). We have many SSIDs but need to be able to restrict the availability of certain SSIDs in parts of the campus. How is this best achieved?

3 Replies 3

pmccubbin
Level 5
Level 5

Hi Chris,

The best way to accomplish this is with the WLAN Override functionality. This is from the documentation:

"The default system behavior is for a WLAN Controller (WLC) to push all WLANs to all

of its joined APs. Many Cisco customers deploying the Cisco Unified Wireless Network

solution want to restrict certain SSIDs to sets of access points. For example, an

enterprise might want to offer open guest access in an Executive Briefing Center but no

where else on the campus. The way to override the default behavior is to use the WLAN

Override feature."

Hope this helps.

Best,

Paul

This feature does work but its not manageable at all. For example I only want my guest wireless ssid to be available in one building in the campus. This means that when I migrate or add more aps, I have to specify the override on each one! Also how can you see which aps are overriding, which arent without going into each ap individually?

There must be another way?

Found it! Well sort of. WLAN Override using AP templates. Not ideal because when new aps join they will broadcast all networks until the template is applied, then I have to manually reset the aps to get it to work.

Better than nothing but needs improvement Cisco!?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: