Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

802.11a outdoor antenna

Hello,

I have to cover an outdoor area with wireless (802.11b/g). Due to the lack of wired infrastructure I thought of building a backbone using 802.11a.

In my area (ETSI) there are only specific 802.11a frequencies allowed for outdoor use (5470-5725).

How do I configure an AP1242AG to use only this frequencies?

What would be the best antenna to build the 802.11a backbone (there is nothing suitable in the cisco portfolio)

regards

HMK

5 Replies 5

drolemc
Level 6
Level 6

Since you are planning to cover an outdoor area, it would be ideal to have a bridge connecting the wireless LAN networks. There are a wide variety of Cisco bridges available in the market. You can go for 1400 bridge.

On the antennas here is a complete reference guide which gives you an idea of the different range of antennas that cisco provides:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/wireless/ps469/products_data_sheet09186a008008883b.html

Richard Atkin
Level 4
Level 4

You need to issue the command

conf t

int dot11 1

dfs band block 1,2,4

Basically (presuming you're UK based), we've got three 5GHz bands in the UK, but the US seem to have 4. UK - US bands tally as follows;

US - UK - UK Purpose

1 - 1 - Indoor Only

2 - 1 - Indoor Only

3 - 2 - Indoor & Outdoor

4 - 3 - Outdoor (Licensed) Only

So, by blocking bands 1,2 & 4, you ensure dfs will only use band three, which can safely be used outdoors, without a license.

Again, presuming you're UK, you can't buy a 1400, so for 5GHz backhauls, you're limited to 1240, 3205 on IOS, or 1510 / 1520 on LWAPP.

Antenna selection is entirely depending upon the physical network topology and distances between nodes.

Hello,

thanks for your replies. The command for blocking the respective indoor channels is excactly what I was looking for. Also the link to the various antennas was helpful. I had an older link where not all antennas were described.

I'm now planning to install 3 AP1242 with sector antennas (AIR-ANT5117S-N) on the 5 GHz band to function as backbone for about 12 AP1242 in the field.

I would be interested in recommendations, how far in distance these antennas can go and what kind of "receiver antennas" I should install on the field APs.

On the 802.11b/g side where the clients reside, I plan to go for AIR-ANT2506. (or what about a diversity antenna?).

What about the 1400? Is there any advantage against the AP1242 for using them?

By the way, I'm located in germany.

regards

HMK

Diversity is generally only needed in situations where you encounted multi-path interference, so if you have lots of metal in the area (for example) then it might be worth a go. If you go with diversity, I THINK you're supposed to keep the antennae about a wavelength apart, so ~12.5cm.

For the 5GHz links, try to keep the TX and RX antennae the same gain, although it's likely you'll need an omni-directional for your Root Bridge, and directional antennae for your None-Root Bridges. If you have different gains at the root / none-root, you can encounter problems with transmit power mis-matches - one AP can hear the other, but not vice versa.

The 1400 comes with a built-in directional antennae, or with connectors for adding external antennae. Most importantly though, it is rated for outdoor use, where as the 1240 is an indoor AP, which will therefore need cables running between the AP & Antenna.

2.4GHz antennae is entierly dependant upon AP positioning, coverage requirements, etc. 2506 is probably a good place to start if you're not very experienced with spec'ing antennae.

Regards,

Richard.

Hello,

can anybody please confirm that point-to-multipoint bridging on 802.11a interface is possible with AP1242. I can not find any documents about this feature.

regards

HMK

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: