cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Find snmp access to which interface

b.hofmann
Level 1
Level 1

We have an router with 10 interfaces, and get from this device a lot of incorrect community messages. We see the server which is doing the queries, but this is a print server which about 500 printer queues and the administrator does not find one of our interfaces in the configuration. When we do a debug snmp packets we see only the servers ip-address but not which interface is being asked. Can we found this information? What must we do?

Berthold

3 Replies 3

Not applicable

To view the information try an SNMPwalk of the ifTable to find which which interface goes with which SNMP index .And then try polling that SNMP index.

I have done an snmpwalk, and find the ip-address from the server 2 times in results. But i didn't find which ip-address or interface from the router is queried. In an debug snmp packets i see only the routers loopback address, but the server people are sure, that they don't query this address.

cmcbride
Level 1
Level 1

The Debug should have contact the OID being queried. The OID will specify an "Instance" as the last digit.

For example, the OID for Instance 2 IfInOctects is: .1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.10.2

To figure out which interface instance 2 is do an snmp walk of the ifDescr: .1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.2

Instance 2 listed in that table will contain the value of the name of the interface. I.e. inside/outside, whatever.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: