Cable type

Unanswered Question
Nov 19th, 2007
User Badges:

Hi guys,

I have a serial interface on 7206 and want to connect with to a CSU/DSU which has a RJ.45 male.I need to know what cable to use.I tried using V.35 male DTE cisco cable but doesn't work.Need something that will terminate to female RJ.45 to connect to CSU male.Kindly let me know whats the best cable to use.


  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Overall Rating: 5 (1 ratings)
mallu Mon, 11/19/2007 - 11:00
User Badges:

Thanks Clark.The interface is a PA-4T.Whats confusing me is the other end of the CSU ending with a RJ.45 Male.I used the the V.35 male DTE but didn't work.Am looking for one that can terminate as RJ.45 female to connect to the male I was informed about.

Collin Clark Mon, 11/19/2007 - 11:08
User Badges:
  • Purple, 4500 points or more

Your CSU/DSU should have an RJ-45 plug, which connects to the smartjack. It sounds like you also have a V.35 interface on the CSU/DSU (which is OK). On the router you have a DB-60. If all of these are correct, you need a DB-60 to V.35. Here's a link to a picture for reference. Does this look correct?

mallu Tue, 11/27/2007 - 12:53
User Badges:

Sorry am I was trying to get more information on this as the other end is in NYC.The connection am trying to establish is from my router serial port which is a DB-60 and terminates on patch panel on RJ-48.Let me know whats best.

Collin Clark Tue, 11/27/2007 - 13:05
User Badges:
  • Purple, 4500 points or more

You need a CSU/DSU of some sort. The patch panel RJ-48 is an extension of the smartjack. The connection on the serial port is serial, however it does not have the built-in CSU/DSU. You can either buy a new serial card (very exspensive in 7200) that has a build-in CSU/DSU or buy an external CSU/DSU and the appropriate cable to connect the CSU/DSU to the router. Here's a link to a CSU/DSU.

There's a picture that should help clarify. You will still need the cable that I mentioned above.


This Discussion