cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Router(boot) ... issue after upgrade....

uubozou11
Level 1
Level 1

I have a uBR7100 and after the IOS upgrade last week whenever it reboots I would get the prompt of 'router(boot)'...after some troubleshooting it was decided by someone else that I had a bad image file, to get a different one. I did that this weekend and after the upgrade this morning, was greeted yet again by the 'Router(boot)' prompt. What causes the prompt to show this?

Thanks..........

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Jimmy

With all due respect, I do believe that you are wrong. The flash card is not in slot 1. Please look at the 7100 and confirm what is in slot 1.

And I believe that this message (as I have indicated before) shows that the flash card is recognized and is ok:

47040K bytes of ATA PCMCIA card at slot 0 (Sector size 512 bytes).

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

You still are not running the correct image , (disk0:c7100-ik9s-mz.123-12e.bin) you have an image for a 7100 vpn router and you have a ubr7100 , not the same . You have 2 threads for the same problem in here. Until you get the correct image it won't boot. I'm not sure the ubr supports SSH or not the images do not indicate they do but i could be wrong . In any event the image has to look like this, the one you have now is not correct. I did not see any K9 images for this device.

ubr7100-ik8su2-mz.123-21a.BC4.bin

View solution in original post

15 Replies 15

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Jimmy

There are a couple of things that might cause the router to boot and wind up in router(boot). One possibility is that the configuration register has been set to cause this. It is more likely that this is caused by the router not being able to find a valid image to boot. When you were loading the new image file did you delete the old image from the router?

It would be helpful if you would boot the router again and capture the console messages as it boots and post the console messages. This would give us the most accurate identification of the problem.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Thank you for your help! There was a small issue (see Router suck in boot mode....http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/108/hwts_71xx_23240.html)

but following those steps didnt help me either.

I have attached the output of the commands....

And I have also already formatted disk0 and ram confreg/reset but neither helped.

And finally, did this one also...

http://cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps359/products_tech_note09186a00800a750e.shtml

Steps worked, but still boots into (boot) mode.

Thx

a senior engr here was giving me the wrong file, ...he was giving me the image file, not the full version. Thanks to those who responded....but now with the full version on there, I get...

Buffered messages:

Queued messages:

*Nov 19 01:38:45.107: %PA-4-PCIVALID: PCI activation failed, bay 2, 0x1119DC04

*Nov 19 01:38:45.107: %PA-3-DEACTIVATED: port adapter in bay [2] powered off.

*Nov 19 01:38:45.107: %PA-3-IMPROPER_INSERT: Improper insertion for slot 2. Remove and then re-insert the PA

*Nov 19 01:38:46.891: %PA-3-NOTSUPPORTED: PA in slot1 (Unknown (type 585)) is not supported on this image.

Please issue "show diag" in fully loaded IOS image

to get the PA's information and verify if it is supported

by this image, a newer version may be needed.

*Nov 19 01:38:46.891: %PA-3-DEACTIVATED: port adapter in bay [1] powered off.

TLB (load or instruction fetch) exception, CPU signal 22, PC = 0x606B8BB4

Translated, does that mean slot1 (disk0) is not supported by this IOS version?

Do a "show version" and post here .

Cisco Internetwork Operating System Software

IOS (tm) EGR Software (UBR7100-BOOT-M), Version 12.3(21a)BC3, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

Technical Support: http://www.cisco.com/techsupport

Copyright (c) 1986-2007 by cisco Systems, Inc.

Compiled Thu 26-Jul-07 17:00 by alnguyen

Image text-base: 0x60008EB8, data-base: 0x60B6A000

ROM: System Bootstrap, Version 12.0(5r)XE2, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

Router uptime is 17 hours, 44 minutes

System returned to ROM by error - an Error Interrupt, PC 0x606E19EC at 02:09:34 UTC Mon Nov 19 2007

System image file is "bootflash:ubr7100-boot-mz.123-21a.BC3.bin"

cisco uBR7114 (EGR) processor (revision A) with 122880K/73728K bytes of memory.

Processor board ID 31256715

R527x CPU at 225MHz, Implementation 40, Rev 10.0, 2048KB L2 Cache

Last reset from power-on

Bridging software.

X.25 software, Version 3.0.0.

2 FastEthernet/IEEE 802.3 interface(s)

125K bytes of non-volatile configuration memory.

8192K bytes of Flash internal SIMM (Sector size 256K).

Configuration register is 0x2102

Jimmy

Thanks for posting the output of show version. It shows clearly that you are still running the bootloader code and not the full image:

System image file is "bootflash:ubr7100-boot-mz.123-21a.BC3.bin"

I think I understand from your earlier post that you now have a valid image file on the router. But it is not booting. Am I correct in assuming that the only boot system command that you have in your config is the one that points to bootflash? If that is the case then you need to confirm the location and the name of the full image file and then to configure a boot system command that will point to that image file.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

What happens is that it boots, starts to load the full image, gets the error about the PC Card not being compatible, reboots, then falls back to the (boot) file. So, ultimately whenever I try to use the new IOS (supporting ssh) its barfs (

via the sh run line of boot system flash disk0:c7100-ik9s-mz.123-12e.bin), then falls back to the boot file (which atleast gives it some functionality). I have opened up a case with TAC and am awaiting their response.

Jimmy

Perhaps I am mistaken, but I do not believe that the error message you saw during boot was related to the PC card. The error was about something in slot 2 and I do not believe that the PC card is in slot 2.

Also there is this message from the show version:

which tells me that the PC card is functional. It will be interesting to see what the TAC says about this.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Thanks for your input...

Per this error....

*Nov 19 01:38:46.891: %PA-3-NOTSUPPORTED: PA in slot1 (Unknown (type 585)) is not supported on this image.

I assumed it was talking about the 48 MB flash card. But I could be wrong...

Jimmy

With all due respect, I do believe that you are wrong. The flash card is not in slot 1. Please look at the 7100 and confirm what is in slot 1.

And I believe that this message (as I have indicated before) shows that the flash card is recognized and is ok:

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

You still are not running the correct image , (disk0:c7100-ik9s-mz.123-12e.bin) you have an image for a 7100 vpn router and you have a ubr7100 , not the same . You have 2 threads for the same problem in here. Until you get the correct image it won't boot. I'm not sure the ubr supports SSH or not the images do not indicate they do but i could be wrong . In any event the image has to look like this, the one you have now is not correct. I did not see any K9 images for this device.

ubr7100-ik8su2-mz.123-21a.BC4.bin

I re-read your response, I see now...we are loading a image for a VPN router, we have a uBR. ...duh! Thanks, will look into this... :)

Well, with everyones help, I finally sludged through and got the right IOS on there. The first three files given to me were wrong (two were boot files, one was for a 7100 VPN router, not a uBR). I got ahold of Cisco, they hooked me up with the right file, and amazing, it installed perfectly. Thank you to all that responded, and we can close this case :)

Happy Thanksgiving!!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: