! configuration truncted

no auto-summary

!

route-map serial-active permit 10

match ip next-hop serial-active

!

ip access-list standard serial-active

permit X.X.X.129

Above Configuration is redistributing only those EIGRP 19001 routes, which has next-hop IP address 66.248.251.129, into BGP.

The same name 'serial-active' is used for both Route-map name & ACL name. please don't confuse with it.

I verified that EIGRP routes are being redistributed into BGP as required. Everything is working fine.

But I am confused with the below output, it showing 0 packet is matched for policy routing.

Router#show route-map serial-active

route-map serial-active, permit, sequence 10

Match clauses:

ip next-hop (access-lists): serial-active

Set clauses:

Policy routing matches: 0 packets, 0 bytes

Though sh ip access-lists command is showing 36269 matches for the ACL.

Router#sh ip access-lists serial-active

Standard IP access list serial-active

permit X.X.X.129 (36269 matches)

Can someone help me to understand this behavior, why route-map is showing 0 match & while ACL has 36269 matches?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Amolak

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Amolak

There is a simple explanation for this: you are using the route map to control redistribution and are not using it for policy based routing. Therefore the count for policy routing does not increment.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Amolak

There is a simple explanation for this: you are using the route map to control redistribution and are not using it for policy based routing. Therefore the count for policy routing does not increment.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

HI Rick,

Good Day ! !

Could you please explain in detail. I am confused with your reply.

How route-map and policy based routing work and differs.

Best Regards,

Guru Prasad R

Guru

You enable Policy Based Routing with the ip policy command on an interface. That is not the case in this question. In this question the route map is used to control redistribution. Control of redistribution is not Policy Based Routing.

It is sort of simimlar to the way that access lists are used. Just because an access list is configured does not mean that the access list is used to filter data packets. You use an access list to filter data packets by using the ip access-group command on an interface. But you can also use an access list to identify interesting traffic for DDR, or you can use an access list to control remote access to vty by the access-class command. Or you can use an access list to filter routing updates by using the distribute-list command. So you must look at how it is being used. In this case the route-map is used in redistribution and redistribution is not Policy Based Routing. Policy Based Routing will change the way that a packet is routed and that is not happening in this question.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Amolak

I am glad that my response was helpful. Thank you for using the rating system to indicate that your question was resolved (and thank you for the rating). It makes the forum more useful when people can read a question and can know that they will read a response that resolved the question.

I encourage you to continue your participation in the forum.

HTH

Riok

HTH

Rick

HI Rick,

Good Day ! !

Thanks for the Explanation.

Let me clarify with some CISCO documents for more on this Policy based Routing.

Have Rated your Answer.

Best Regards,

Guru Prasad R

Hi Guru,

You can refer following link to understand the Policy Based Routing concepts in details.

http://www.ciscopress.com/content/images/1587050722/samplechapter/1587050722content.pdf

Hope this helps you.

Regards,

Amolak

Hi Rick,

Aah.... got it... Thank you very much.

-Amolak

hai,

Thaks rick that a valuable ...one

Lijesh.N.C

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: