cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Configuring 3 Aironet 1240AG's for roaming

chicagopete
Level 1
Level 1

We just installed 3 1240AG's w/ Airnet 1728 omni-directional antenna's. Set all 3 to same SSID and WEP pwd. Each have a unique static IP address. Approx. 50 - 70 feet apart on same floor of office bldg. What other settings will optimize seamless, fast roaming (no drops etc...).

All settings, except for those mentioned above were left at factory default.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

It's a must do.

When a client roams away from an Access Point, it obviously has to look for another AP to roam to. In situations where APs are all on the same channel, this usually leads to a situation where the client will completely drop its connection before associating to the next AP.

When differnet channels are used, the client is able to make a roaming decision much sooner, and the whole process becomes much smoother and more transparent to the user.

Of course, wireless isn't a perfect medium, so i'd still suggest that your database employs some reliable locking mechanisms to help prevent corruption.

Change the channels as suggested and let us know how you get on; I think you'll see a big improvement.

Regards,

Richard.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Richard Atkin
Level 4
Level 4

Ensure you are using different channel settings on each Access Point.

Set one to Channel 1, one to Channel 6, and one to Channel 11.

Thanks for the response. During our initial trial run, we of course had all 3 WAPs set to the same channel and did not have an issue.

Is using different channels a 'best practice' suggestion, a security concern or a 'must do'?

Our major concern is dropping a SQL db connection while roaming on the floor and corrupting a record.

It's a must do.

When a client roams away from an Access Point, it obviously has to look for another AP to roam to. In situations where APs are all on the same channel, this usually leads to a situation where the client will completely drop its connection before associating to the next AP.

When differnet channels are used, the client is able to make a roaming decision much sooner, and the whole process becomes much smoother and more transparent to the user.

Of course, wireless isn't a perfect medium, so i'd still suggest that your database employs some reliable locking mechanisms to help prevent corruption.

Change the channels as suggested and let us know how you get on; I think you'll see a big improvement.

Regards,

Richard.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card