cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Show ARP

burleyman
Level 8
Level 8

I have a few switches which when I run the show arp command I just see a few entries but other switches I see all the ports. Is there something I need to configure to get this to work? They are 4506 switches running cat 4000-i9s-mz.122-25.EWA4

I have attached the configs for the two switches and their show arp outputs.

Thanks,

Mike

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Nope, but you could create an SVI on the switch and use HSRP or GLBP to peer with the other switch providing the default gateway. That will not only populate your arp table it will provide gateway redundancy!

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Collin Clark
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Michael,

In switch 4506_cl there is only a layer 3 interface on the management port. The 4506co switch has layer 3 interface for each vlan so it will see all the entries for the devices it's responsible for (ie providing the gateway). The first switch does not provide a gateway to any vlans so it will not see all the ARP entries.

HTH and please rate

Wow I don't know why that did not click with me.

Now is there a command I can run on the switch so the ARP command will get the information for the other vlans?

Mike

Nope, but you could create an SVI on the switch and use HSRP or GLBP to peer with the other switch providing the default gateway. That will not only populate your arp table it will provide gateway redundancy!

Sounds good. I have never configured those..is there a spot for good information on how to configure those?

Thanks for your help.

Mike

Thanks for the information.

Mike

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card