Secondary Dial Tone

Unanswered Question
Nov 20th, 2007

Hello Folks,

I have a problem with secondary dial tone. We dial 9 to get out. Let's say I am dialing 9514-1234-5678. When I dial 9 I don't hear any dial tone but as soon as I dial the next digit which is 5 I get the secondary dial tone. I would like to hear the secondary dial tone right after dialing 9. Could you please help? I am using CCM 5.1

Thanks,

MK

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 3.7 (3 ratings)
Chris Deren Tue, 11/20/2007 - 14:50

review all of your route patters and translation patters starting with 9 or X to make sure the provide secondary ringtone box is checked. also make sure there are no overlapping DNs in the system beginning with 9.

use DNA to anylyze further.

HTH,

Chris

mightyking Wed, 11/21/2007 - 07:32

Thanks Chris,

I verified all the Route and Translation Patterns and everything looks good. The "Provid outside dial tone box" is checked but I don't have any Secondary ringtone option in the route and translation pattern pages. I also used the Route plan report to see if there's any overlapping DNs begining with 9 but there's none. Any other ideas?

Thanks,

Chris Deren Thu, 11/22/2007 - 08:40

Trust me you have a route pattern or a translation pattern somewhere that overlaps with 9 and does not have the "provide outside dial tone" cheked. make sure you don't have translation patterns such as XXXX as that will ovrlap with everything and cause this issue.

Chris

mightyking Thu, 11/22/2007 - 09:08

In my route paterns, I have 9., 9.@ and 911. Do you think the 911 is overlapping? If so, how can I resolve the issue?

Thanks

Chris Deren Thu, 11/22/2007 - 09:54

It is if you dont have the "provide outside dial tone" cheked on it.

Basically by having it checked it means provide secondary dialtone after the first digit, so if you have 3 route patterns begining with 9 and 2 of them have it checked and one does not then the secondary digit will not be heard until there is no more overlap. So, lets assume that the 911 does not have it checked, you will hear seconday dialtone after you dial 91[2-9], after 3rd digit.

HTH,

Chris

Chris

mightyking Thu, 11/22/2007 - 11:18

The problem is that the 911 and all other route paterns have the Provide outside dial tone box checked.

mightyking Thu, 11/22/2007 - 13:09

Here's in attach all route paterns that we have and trust me when I say the outside dial tone box is cheched for all of them. There were some extensions starting with 9 that I have removed them but it still doesn't work.

Thanks,

Attachment: 
rob.huffman Thu, 11/22/2007 - 13:51

Hi Bahman,

Long time, hope all is well! Did you use this when you removed the extensions that began with 9?

Try this method via the Route Plan Report;

Deleting Unassigned Directory Numbers

This section describes how to delete an unassigned directory number from the route plan report. Directory numbers get configured and removed in the Directory Number Configuration window of Cisco CallManager Administration. When a directory number gets removed from a device or a phone gets deleted, the directory number still exists in the Cisco CallManager database. To delete the directory number from the database, use the Route Plan Report window.

Procedure

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Step 1 Choose Route Plan > Route Plan Report.

The Route Plan Report window displays. Use the three drop-down list boxes to specify a route plan report that lists all unassigned DNs.

Step 2 Three ways exist to delete directory numbers:

a. Click the directory number that you want to delete. When the Directory Number Configuration window displays, click Delete.

b. Check the check box next to the directory number that you want to delete. Click Delete Selected.

c. To delete all found unassigned directory numbers, click Delete all Found Items.

A warning message verifies that you want to delete the directory number.

Step 3 To delete the directory number, click OK. To cancel the delete request, click Cancel.

From this good doc;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps556/products_administration_guide_chapter09186a00803ed686.html#wp1024696

Hope this helps!

Rob

mightyking Thu, 11/22/2007 - 15:29

Thanks Rob,

I am doing great, thank you for asking. There are some unassigned number but none of them starts with 9. What else do you think can be the cause?

Thanks,

mightyking Thu, 11/22/2007 - 16:36

In addition of the previous post, I have got another question. I have two GW's in the same city and would like to de load balancing for the calls. What I mean is to send the first call out of the first GW and the second call out of the other one. How can I do that?

Thanks,

Chris Deren Fri, 11/23/2007 - 07:38

If it is CM 4.1 there was a bug that did not clear unasigned DNs from database even though you deleted them from the GUI. There was a ES for this (I dont remember the number). I would suggest openinig a TAC case to get this ES.

Chris

mightyking Fri, 11/23/2007 - 07:43

It's a CM 5.1. As I said there're some unassigned number but none of the starts with 9. How can I use digit analyzer in CM 5.1?

Thanks,

mightyking Fri, 11/23/2007 - 08:27

Thanks Chris,

I will follow the doc and will let you know.

I also have the following question:

I have two GW's in the same city and would like to do load balancing for the calls. What I mean is to send the first call out of the first GW and the second call out of the other one. How can I do that?

Thanks,

Chris Deren Fri, 11/23/2007 - 11:32

Do you use MGCP or H.323 GW?

With MGCP you can do this by using the "circular" algorithm on the route group, so simply put both GWs in the same route group and select circular algorithm.

If you have H.323 GW, the you only have one GW in CallManager, so obviusly it is not going to work that easily. You can setup both dial-peers with the same preference on the GW, I am not sure if it will load balance though.

Chris

mightyking Fri, 11/23/2007 - 12:26

Thanks Chris for your precious help.

But I still have my issue with the 9 to dial out. This is my first time I am touching linux based OS and don't know how to activate DNA service in the server and run Dialed Number Analyzer. Could you please send me a direction that I can follow?

Thanks,

MK

Chris Deren Fri, 11/23/2007 - 14:21

Goto Servicibility-->Tools-->service activation and you will use Dialed Number Analyzer service under CM services, check it and click save.

After the service is enabled you will see Dialed Number Analyzer under Tools (first one listed)

Chris

gogasca Fri, 11/23/2007 - 22:22

Generate a dump forest

I would recommend doing the following.

1. **##*2 (dump forest in case it is already on verbose)

2. **##*4 (turn on verbose mode in case it is already off)

3. **##*2 (dump dialing forest in case it was off the first time)

The dialing forest will be dumped on the node which does the digit analysis. This is typically the node to which the phone is registered if you have shared lines,it may be best just to grab the CCM traces from all nodes.

After you dump the dialing forest and confirm that the dump occurred in one of those files (by searching for the word "forest"),

You can see this in CCM detailed traces.

You will find which pattern is the culprit.

And also upload the complete plan report

mightyking Sat, 11/24/2007 - 20:24

Thanks Gonzalo,

What is it for? Is it how to resolve the issue with the delayed scondary dial tone? How this is going to help me to resovle the problem?

Thanks,

mightyking Mon, 11/26/2007 - 10:06

Below is the output of the DNA. As you can see it matches 9.[2-9]XX[2-9]XXXXXX route pattern. The DNA output says, Outside Dial Tone = NO but in the matching route pattern the provid outside dial tone is checked. All route and translation pattern are configured to provid out side dial tone and there's no over lapping with 9. Could you please let me know what am I missing?

Results Summary

Calling Party Information

Calling Party = 5148550570

Partition =

Device CSS =

Line CSS = CSS-Devices-725MDL

AAR Group Name =

AARCSS =

Dialed Digits = 95146857607

Match Result = RouteThisPattern

Matched Pattern Information

Pattern = 9.[2-9]XX[2-9]XXXXXX

Partition = PT-PSTN

Time Schedule =

Called Party Number = 5146857607

Time Zone = Greenwich Standard Time

End Device = RL-MTL-1250RL

Call Classification = OffNet

InterDigit Timeout = NO

Device Override = Disabled

Outside Dial Tone = NO

Call Flow

Route Pattern :Pattern= 9.[2-9]XX[2-9]XXXXXX

Positional Match List = 5146857607

DialPlan =

Route Filter

Filter Name =

Filter Clause =

Require Forced Authorization Code = No

Authorization Level = 0

Require Client Matter Code = No

Call Classification =

PreTransform Calling Party Number = 8916

PreTransform Called Party Number = 95146857607

Jaime Valencia Mon, 01/28/2008 - 17:57

it most probably is an overlapping pattern, unfortunately you only attached the route plan report for route patterns.

ANY dn in the system including all those under unassigned DNs can mess this up.

if there is no match you can see with the same numbers then it's something in your system with wildcards, try a route plan report for all DNs containing X.

you should see something that overlaps for the 1st digit that is not a RP or TP, if you have a hard time finding it and you can post it i can look at it

Actions

This Discussion