Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

one of my router interface is configured as

interface Serial1/0.1/3/6/2:0

description ##

bandwidth 1024

ip address 10.10.10.1 255.255.255.252

rate-limit input 1024000 192000 384000 conform-action transmit exceed-action drop

rate-limit output 1024000 192000 384000 conform-action transmit exceed-action drop

encapsulation ppp

no fair-queue

no clns route-cache

end

I am able to ping 10.10.10.2 but not 10.10.10.1 ---but i am able to ping this ip from other router --even i have tried with different source ip but not able to ping this ip anyway

pl. guide

regards

Mahesh

4 Replies 4

guruprasadr
Level 7
Level 7

HI Mahesh,

interface Serial1/0.1/3/6/2:0

bandwidth 1024

The Interface is already defined with the BW of 1024 only.

Why do you require a Rate-limit on input / output traffic ?

Whether U can't ping 10.10.10.1 from the same Router ?

Do add more INFO

Best Regards,

Guru Prasad R

Ya exactly

i am not able to ping 10.10.10.1 from same router but i can ping this ip from any other router connected to this router

Regards

mahesh

HI Mahesh,

Could you please check whether 1Mb link is fully over-loaded with the Input / output traffic.

Because during peak line load situation of Business Traffic, there could be a possibility of drop in SNMP, ICMP and some other traffic.

In this situation, the ICMP and SNMP traffic will be given low-priority.

Pls Rate if HELPS

Best Regards,

Guru Prasad R

Hi Mahesh,

On a WAN interface a simple ping goes out to the other end and comes back and gives out the result. Basically performs a small loop test for connectivity check and gives you the result. I don't know how your network is setup but I thought I will post this to just you an understanding that pinging itself own interface on WAN is different compared to LAN. You can check the ping times to realise this. ping times to 10.10.10.2 will be less than ping times to 10.10.10.1 (ofcourse when it works :)

Are you sure the link is up and there is no other circuit on a redundant router on which a similar interface is up?

I am not familiar with rate limit usage but like others have pointed out the problem might be because of that since pings sourced from the other end is working but from local router it is getting dropped.

Can you post the other end of the configuration?

Thanks,

Ranjani

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco