cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Help on a Big Home solution.

dpsystems
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, i have a client who has a large House and needs wirless access throughout.

I am planning of the following and and wanted your idea's and thoughts to confirm it will or wont work, or if there is a better product.

Downstairs Far Right side office

Existing router, will purchase a 1100 Aironet and conect it directly using a network cable into the exisitng router.

Purchase a Power injector and plug a network cable from the router to this adaptor, this i understand will let me have a lan connection in the house over the power wire as the house does not have cat5 anywhere other than this main office.

Downstairs far left spare room.

Purchase another 1100 along with a Cisco Power Injector.

I understand that the power injector will enable me to use the power cable in the house to connect this unit up to the main router.

The both 1100's will be set to pass dhcp as the existing router currently is the dhcp server.

both 1100's will be setup in some sort of roaming mode so a user can walk from one side of the house to the other without loosing intenet connetion.

Hope you can assist.

Thanks

Roger

1 Reply 1

Richard Atkin
Level 4
Level 4

Roger,

When you talk about a Power Injector, this is normally something that lets you add power to the spare pairs within an ethernet cable, allowing the ethernet cable to carry power and data simultaneously.

But you then go on to say that there's no ethernet in the house, so I think Power Injector is the wrong term.

I think you're talking about an 'Ethernet over Power' product, which allows you to run ethernet over existing copper power cables. If this is what you mean, to the best of my knowledge, such products rarely run better than 10Mbps / Half Duplex, so your wireless user experience will be pretty awful.

As you're using dual-radio Access Points, have you thought about setting up a bridge between them? You could use one radio as a bridge to connect the two access points together, and dedicate the second radio to providing client connectivity.

Regards,

Richard.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card