cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

1242 IOS...

Rafael Jimenez
Level 4
Level 4

Are the AIR-AP1242G-A-K9 upgradable to AIR-LAP1242G-A-K9.

What about the AIR-AP1242AG-A-K9 ?.

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

WLC is a MUCH cleaner solution than WLSE. I don't think I've deployed a WLSE in the last 18months now - everything is going lightweight. Even old WLSE's can be upgraded to run WCS, so no real excuses about loss of investment either.

You can swap IOS / LWAPP images as you like, so no worries about trialing LWAPP, and then reverting to IOS again if they don't like it.

IOS APs can be migrated to LWAPP using the "LWAPP Upgrade Tool" (free off CCO), and similarly, an LWAPP AP that's registered to a WLC can be converted back to IOS via a CLI command on the WLC.

HTH,

Richard.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Richard Atkin
Level 4
Level 4

AIR-AP1242AG.... and AIR-LAP1242AG.... are the same hardware, the presence / absence of the L determines which software the Access Point ships with.

WITHOUT the L, means you get an IOS access point.

WITH the L, means you get an LWAPP access point.

It is possible to migrate between the two - it's simply a case of applying the appropriate files to the AP flash memory.

Can I put the ios or firware that I need?.

I have a customer with 15 autonomous 1242 radios, they have a lot of problems because they did a bad design. Between the options to improve conectivity after a site survey we need increase the number of access points and add one wireless controllers. If they goes for wireless controllers we have to change the ios in the current radios, but the customer want have the option to put back the IOS for autonomous system.

By the way what do you think about the wireless controller option versus the WLSE?.

Regards.

WLC is a MUCH cleaner solution than WLSE. I don't think I've deployed a WLSE in the last 18months now - everything is going lightweight. Even old WLSE's can be upgraded to run WCS, so no real excuses about loss of investment either.

You can swap IOS / LWAPP images as you like, so no worries about trialing LWAPP, and then reverting to IOS again if they don't like it.

IOS APs can be migrated to LWAPP using the "LWAPP Upgrade Tool" (free off CCO), and similarly, an LWAPP AP that's registered to a WLC can be converted back to IOS via a CLI command on the WLC.

HTH,

Richard.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card