cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

No transcoder, will VT Advange work?

shirwaziri1_2
Level 1
Level 1

Will VT advantage work when my client does not have a transcoder configured.

How will performance on the video be with out transcoder configured. ALso, does any one have documents on the details of what we can and can't do with VT advantage. For example, is it necessary to have a transcoder? we also want to use vt advantage througha vpn connectons. What are the do's and don'ts.

1 Reply 1

dtran
Level 6
Level 6

I am going to try my best to explain and please correct me if I am wrong.

Basically, in a video call there are two logical channels (a video channel and a voice channel), in this case you're using Cisco VTA with Cisco IP phone and I am going to assume that your video speed is configured at 384k and you're using G.711 for voice. In this scenario if you're running G.711 for voice between the two video enabled phones then you will not a transcoder, transcoder is only needed when you're running different codecs in your environment and transcoder has nothing to do with video performance, it does not affect video performance. In fact Cisco IP phone has its own DSP in it so it will be able to negociate different codecs.

In regard to video over VPN. I have tested VTA with IP Communicator over VPN and it worked perfectly fine.

Hope that helps !!

D

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: