Views
Helpful
Replies

Natvie Vlan

acbenny
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

What is Native Vlan? what is Native Vlan mismatch ?

5 Replies 5

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

A trunk port configured with IEEE 802.1Q tagging can receive both tagged and untagged traffic. By default, the switch forwards untagged traffic in the native VLAN configured for the port. The native VLAN is VLAN 1 by default.

A mismatch occurs when the link partners do not agree on the native vlan.

and to add a little more..

native vlan is used by protocols like Pgap,cdp,stp(bpdu),dtp etc.In isl trunking these signals are via vlan 1 which is by default the native vlan.In 802.1q only dtp is sent via native vlan as untagged and others are send via vlan 1 tagged(case:when native vlan is not vlan 1)..

:)

Does that mean that if i have configure under trunk port command "switchport trunk native vlan 2" then 802.1q only dtp is sent via native vlan as untagged and others are send via vlan 1 tagged. If i want to clear the native VLAN from all 802.1Q trunks what is the command to do that (to set802.1Q all-tagged mode) Little amazed what is the basic configuration to set trunk port to all tagged mode and how to clear native vlan 1 from trunk port.

Thanks

Juha

>If i want to clear the native VLAN from all 802.1Q trunks what is the command to do that (to set802.1Q all-tagged mode)

The command is vlan dot1q tag native

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card