cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WAN Card Vs Eth Card for routing

chenoi2007
Level 1
Level 1

Hai..iam sure wan card is use for routing between wan network over atm/sdh/etc but how about eth card..is it have the capabilities to be use for routing or its only for lan connectivity?..let say if i have a router need to be connected to remote router over sdh network can i directly connected to my eth port..do i need a routing?..pls do help me understand all this...TQ

2 Replies 2

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi

It entirely depends on the presentation from your WAN provider. If you Flex/LES connections, these present as ethernet so you can just connect these straight into your router / switch.

Whether you route over the connection or switch over the connection again depends on what you have agreed with your provider but you can do either.

With SDH you can run ethernet over that as well, again you can often specify the presentation you want.

Jon

Hai Jon..TQ for your explanation. but its not help me much. what make me puzzle is... if my router want to connect to my customer router over sdh..and i dont have wan port, can i used only fe port and do i need routing at this interface? or fe port only be used if i want to connect to my customer over metro e or ethernet cloud.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: