Views
Helpful
Replies

own-interface:No Ping...

alsayed
Level 1
Level 1

Hello!

i have to know when you configure frame-relay on some interface and you can't ping ur own interface!here where the Problem and how can i resolve like this problems

10xs

7 Replies 7

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Frame-relay utilizes NBMA (Non-Broadcast Multiple Access).

As the name implies, it doesn't broadcast the packets so you need to tell it where to go.

On every serial connection, the packet leaves the interface - goes to the neighbor router and returns - including a ping to the router's local serial interface (try it on a point-to-point or hdlc interface).

In Frame-Relay, the router relies on dynamic inARP or static for its mapping.

The mapping instructs the router where to send the packet via that interface, therefore you need to have a mapping for the router's local interface pointing to the neighbor interface. On this scenario, the packet knows where to go and the neighbor router knows where to send it back.

Another choice is configuring a point-to-point subinterface. On this situation, the router knows it only has one neighbor and it sends everything out that interface to that neighbor. If the neighbor is up, it will respond to the ping.

Hello!

good explantion.but if i do self mapping to my own interface can i get Ping Response or shoud i configure point-to-point interface?

10xs

hello !

EdisonOrtiz its solved by self maping ,now what about IPV6 MAPING . Do i need to map to it self or to the link-local (address is FE80::CE03:5FF:FE88:0)??? plz ur advise as u r ccie Cert

10xs

IPv6 does not need a self-mapping to a remote host's DLCI as it creates a local route for the serial interface on its routing table (see the output from typing show ipv6 route).

hello

but i saw mapping via IPv6 to remote and also map to this:

FE80::CE03:5FF:FE88:0

can u explain

10xs

That's the link-local address.

Please have a read to these IPv6 chapters

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios124/124cg/hipv6_c/index.htm

10xs

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco