cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

LWAPP 4.1.185.0 client counts snmp MIBS

jjiles
Level 1
Level 1

I have been asked to put a cricket page with total number of wireless clients using the infrastructure for management to look at. Does anyone know which IOD provides information on the total clients count for WiSM type of controllers? Perhaps the name of the MIB would guide me in the right direction. I downloaded most of the LWAPP related MIBS from Cisco, but I haven't been able to find such a counter.

Thanks for any information.

George.

4 Replies 4

Richard Atkin
Level 4
Level 4

Sorry, not a clue. I'm sure there will be such a MIB as WCS does exactly that. So I guess either (a) Keep looking, or (B) Buy WCS ;o)

Thought I would throw in what I have found...

I work with AP/WLC configuration using SNMP directly to wireless controllers -- and then use WCS for support personnel and map tracking. I write scripts that query statistics off each controller, then use PHP/Perl to display the results.

The AIRESPACE-WIRELESS-MIB is the best place to start. Don't know the OID at the moment, but the client info you are looking for is in the bsnMobileStationTable. It lists all the clients (actually looks like the info from the WLC clients page).

If you want more specific statistics (bytes in/out), you can also query the bsnMobileStationStatsTable and bsnMobileStationExtendedStatsTable.

For example, with NetSNMP installed somewhere (and you have the MIBs installed), you can use:

snmpwalk -OQs -v 2c -c snmprwstr -m AIRESPACE-WIRELESS-MIB mywlc bsnMobileStationTable

This command will dump the entire table to stdout. I've written a perl script (fairly straightforward and generic) to take this table and make it into a line-by-line showing of each client.

Hope this helps!

Any chance you would mind sharing your script?

Thanks,

Eric

ericgarnel
Level 7
Level 7

This has been done in Cacti already. You may be able to pull out the MIBS from the following link:

http://forums.cacti.net/viewtopic.php?t=12863&highlight=4400

Also, see this post as well:

http://forums.cisco.com/eforum/servlet/NetProf?page=netprof&CommCmd=MB%3Fcmd%3Dpass_through%26location%3Doutline%40%5E1%40.1de015a9

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card