cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco ALG, H.323 & Proxy Gatekeeping - Is it possible?

michael.whittle
Level 1
Level 1

I've designed a managed video conferencing solution for a service provider. The VC equipment (codecs, bridges, gatekeepers...) are non-Cisco but the underlying infrastructure is a MPLS VPN using Cisco kit. What I would like to do is create an Internet breakout for external VC calls. I have a Cisco 2611XM running c2600-ik9o3s-mz.123-24.bin which I'm using to test this to prove the theory before I beef up the hardware. I'm hoping I can get a Cisco router to do achieve my requirements rather than using another non-Cisco device in my solution.

My 2611XM's LAN interface is connected to the VC core. The external interface is connected to the Internet. I know of other non-Cisco hardware which can do what I want my 2611XM to do so I know it's possible in theory. I want external VC end-points to direct their video calls at the external interface of my router e.g. E.164@2611XM. The 2611XM will then need to send a request to the non-Cisco gatekeeper to resolve the E.164. The gatekeeper responds with its address for call routing (GK is in routed mode). The call setup is routed to the correct VC EP/Bridge and established. The external customer never knows about the IP address's of the GK or the internal side of the 2611XM.

Is it possible to configure a Cisco router to proxy a H.323 request to the GK?

Has anyone done anything like this before or know how to do it and can point me at some relevant documentation?

Thanks,

Mike

1 Reply 1

hadbou
Level 5
Level 5

No, if you are using the H.323 protocol for VOIP and proxy-server to act as gatekeeper functionality.

The is other solution which is quite similar to your question is using the SIP protocol but not H.323 protocol. http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/voice/sipproxy/admingd/ver1_2/sgappb.htm

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios121/121newft/121t/121t1/0251clmb.htm