cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IPICS - Integration question

nkariyawasam
Level 1
Level 1

I have a Motorola mobile radio system with just on e base station. The system is having 20 differant channles.

I am trying to integrate it with CCM based VOIP system. How do I enable communicaiton with all the radio channels with IPICS server ? Do I need 20 numners of base stations ?

4 Replies 4

mciarfello
Level 4
Level 4

Just stumbled across your question. Hope you found your answer by now, but...

Yes, you will need 20 base stations, each tuned to one of the 20 channels. You will also need 20 E&M interfaces and a BUNCH of other hardware.

If you want to do that many, you should be asking yourself what do you want to communicate with? Most people will section off 1 or 2 of those 20 channels to communicate over the IPICS (VoIP network).

There is a lot to consider for design.

As of December 18, 2007, IPICS and the LMR gateway will support tone remote controlled radios. This will allow you to support multiple channels in IPICS with a single base station.

Your tone board (if you have them) will have limits to the number of channels it will support, but this is a better option than using 20 handhelds or 20 base stations with 20 E&M ports.

I will warn you, this is not a easy product to install/configure.

Hi,

Thanks for the answer..Could you please let me know more information about the "tone board" ?

I haven't configured a tone controlled radio yet, but the new SRND talks about it. You should be able to find the other supporting documentation in the IPICS 2.1 documentation set.

You will also need to work with the radio vendor to figure out the tone protocol your radio model is using as well as the cable needed.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/docs/interoperability_systems/c_ipics/211/design/guide/sr211lmr.html

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card