cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrade LMS2.6 towards 3.0 why?

jorge.s
Level 1
Level 1

What's the reason we should present to upgrade? the investment is not small, but there is any other reason then just follow the upgrade recommended by Cisco?

Is there someone which have seen huge benefits from LMS3.0 ? and what are they?

Jorge

6 Replies 6

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

There are a few new features in LMS 3.0:

Dynamic User Tracking : The ability to get end host updates in the network in near realtime

ION support in SWIM : You can now migrate Cat6500 devices from IOS to ION, and perform ION to ION image upgrades

CiscoWorks Portal : New flexible Web 2.0 homepage which allows users to customize their CiscoWorks homepage with static and dynamic content

CiscoWorks Assistant : Wizard interface for performing complex tasks such as initial server setup, remote server integration, and device and end host troubleshooting

More scalability : RME supports up to 10,000 devices, Campus and DFM support up to 5,000 devices

That said, LMS 3.0.1 is coming out next month, and will offer other features that may make upgrading more worth the price:

SNMPv3 authPriv : Privacy support for SNMPv3

Multi-protocol device discovery : Use protocols other than CDP (such as ping sweeps, OSPF and BGP tables, and ARP tables) to find devices on your network

akemp
Level 5
Level 5

Addtionally from what Joe posted there are quite a few stability and integration improvements.

Cisco Network assistant is quite a blast to use. Specify a device and it gathers all the information every installed application knows about it. RME, Campus, DFM, IPM all the information is presented in a single view including connectivity to neighboring devices in graphical form (a Campus quick map)

You can configure secondary credentials so that if you using a fall-back username and password when your AAA system is unreachable you don't loose any functionality.

IPM , Internet Perfomance Monitor has been greatly improved as to functionality and removal of the java client for configuration/modification of the collectors. The graphing package has been replace and is now marvelous.

DFM device fault monitor now has the ability to unmanage groups of interfaces and is less CPU intensive.

The Device Credential Repository (DCR) CLI support is much more robust so you dont really need to use the GUI for routine operations.

I must admit, this is a question I have been asking myself.

LMS 2.6 is actually quite stable now. Everything appears to be working as expected, even base line compliancy testing.

The extra "gizmos" included within LMS 3.0 do not warrant the extra cost. I am finding it extremely difficult to justify this upgrade to my superiors when I myself cannot justify it. We may well have been spoilt with the (free) upgrade from LMS 2.5 to 2.6 but nevertheless, the amount of "extras" we get with going from 2.6 to 3.0 simply do not appear to be cost effective.

I (and I am sure doubtless others) will need alot more on offer before upgrading to v3.0

Is there a list of additional features within 3.0.1 that I can read that may make the decision easier ?

Thanks in advance.

As I said, SNMPv3 authPriv, and non-CDP discovery algorithms are why most users are looking forward to LMS 3.0.1. Additionally, some Windows users are anticipating support for VMWare ESX.

Joe,

While I'm still searching on CCO for documents describing the new features, maybe you can already tell me something....

Can campus now work out the layer 2 topology if CDP is not working or not configured?

With regards to VMware, is there anything in LMS 2.5 / 2.6 known not to work on VMware?

I still fail to run into any issues.

Thanks,

Michel

No, Data Collection will still require CDP/ILMI/ELMI. Non-CDP algorithms will only be used for device discovery.

We never did any testing with LMS 2.5 or 2.6 with VMWare, so there are no known issues.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: