cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

5Ghz antenna for 1242ag

Rafael Jimenez
Level 4
Level 4

Which 5Ghz antenna can use for a 1242AG.

The documentation do not show any anntenna for 5ghz.

What about the AIR-ANT58G8VOA-N.. the documentation show that it is only for 1400.

Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

That depends what country you're in.

In US, I believe you can only use antennae specifically rated for the AP.

In UK, you can use anything you like, but you are also solely responsible for observing the EIRP limitations.

So from a purely technical standpoint, yes, you can quite happily plug that antenna into a 1242 using a jumper to convert between the two. Note that the performance characteristics Cisco quote will no longer be accurate as the 1400 probably uses a different radio by comparison to the 1242, and the N / RP-TNC jumper will increase RF loss within your setup.

Regards,

Richard.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Richard Atkin
Level 4
Level 4

The 1242 requires the use of antennae with RP-TNC connectors.

Details on all Cisco antennae can be found here;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/wireless/ps469/products_data_sheet09186a008022b11b.html

The type of antennae you use will depend on your final application - higher gain is not always the best option!

Regards,

Richard

Richard, if you see this document, the only option I see is the air-ant5160v-r 6dBi omnidirectional (oudoor) antenna.

I want to know if the 9dBi air-ant58g9voa-n with a N-type to RP-TNC-type jumper is ok for the 1242ag.

thanks.

That depends what country you're in.

In US, I believe you can only use antennae specifically rated for the AP.

In UK, you can use anything you like, but you are also solely responsible for observing the EIRP limitations.

So from a purely technical standpoint, yes, you can quite happily plug that antenna into a 1242 using a jumper to convert between the two. Note that the performance characteristics Cisco quote will no longer be accurate as the 1400 probably uses a different radio by comparison to the 1242, and the N / RP-TNC jumper will increase RF loss within your setup.

Regards,

Richard.

I would like to know what type of external antennas can i use with the AIR-AP1252AG.

Can I use one 12dBi (AIR-ANT24120) antenna in the 2.4Ghz Radio and one 6dBi (AIR-ANT5160V-R) for the 5Ghz radio?.

thanks

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card