cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Understanding MGCP with E1

agonza07
Level 1
Level 1

I've looked through several config guides on implementing MGCP with an E1 and I keep finding the following restriction.

T1 and E1 protocols, such as QSIG, E1 R2, T1 FGD, and PRI NFAS, are not supported with MGCP only with H.323.

But I also find many configurations out there that look like they have this working. Can anybody shed some light on the subject? I have a 2821 in the UK that is running H.323 right now that I want to change over to MGCP. The E1, from what I'm told, is running QSig with Q.931. Would it be possible to convert to MGCP? and why is the above restriction always mentioned by Cisco?

Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Out of the mentioned protocols all but QSIG are not supported with MGCP, QSIG by all means is supported with MGCP.

There are a ton of other E1 protocls, especially ISDN variasions (most common ones) that are supported with MGCP.

When you say your E1 is QSIG, is this PRI to integrated to another PBX? Typically QSIG is used to integrate PBXs and not PSTN connection.

Chris

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Out of the mentioned protocols all but QSIG are not supported with MGCP, QSIG by all means is supported with MGCP.

There are a ton of other E1 protocls, especially ISDN variasions (most common ones) that are supported with MGCP.

When you say your E1 is QSIG, is this PRI to integrated to another PBX? Typically QSIG is used to integrate PBXs and not PSTN connection.

Chris

Thanks Chris. I find it weird that I keep on seeing that same restriction line on the configuration guides on the Cisco website. I think I have found like 5 instances, and I saw one that was posted Aug. 2007.

Anyways, thanks for the clarification because I have seen so many people have configurations that look exactly like I need it to with QSig.

BTW, this is what BT (British Telecom) let me know about the line:

It is an ISDN30e. The signaling is Q.391 this is a European standard signaling protocol.

I don't remember how QSig was mentioned, but I know that is how we set up the H.323 gateway. "primary-qsig"

--mando

Hi,

your PSTN circuit is not qsig, but plain "primary-net5", that is regular PRI. It works as qsig also, because qsig is a "superset" of basic ISDN.

When you find some cisco documentation that is incorrect, don't be afraid of using the feedback form to let them know.

Be aware that converting to MGCP you will loose certain features and flexibility that you can find useful at a later time.

Hope this helps, please rate post if it does