Views
Helpful
Replies

Backup of routers and switches running configs

nasheer.ahmad
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Is there any cisco software which we can take the backup of IOS and running configs one time for more than 100 equipments or any commands which will automatically push the configurations to particular server.

Thanks

Nasheer

13 Replies 13

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You would have to buy a copy of Ciscoworks . Its the only thing I know of that will do that,that cisco produces . There are other competitors products out there that will do that also .

Ciscoworks will certainly do it, and if you syslog to Ciscoworks as well it will automatically pull a copy of the config when it sees the 'config changed' syslog message. By doing so it will perform revision control.

That said, if you have a copy of the Net-SNMP tools (or something comparable), you can use this link to backup device configs on your own:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk648/tk362/technologies_configuration_example09186a0080094aa6.shtml

I've used those SNMP command line tools for years, and they work great. In the past we added the 'copy run tftp' sequence to a script that ran every night to backup all of our IOS devices. Name those files appropriately and move them into a hierarchical directory structure and you have unlimited backups and revision control on a budget.

HTH,

Jarred

Hi,

there is also an "archive" command available in latest IOSes which enables you to save your running config to the router Flash or to an FTP server periodically or after saving config to start-up automatically.

See http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6441/products_command_reference_chapter09186a00804a8d17.html#wp1038582

for details.

BR,

Milan

Hi Milan,

Link you have providedis not working.

I am looking for automatic config backup from router and swithces to TFTP or FTP server.

Can you help me out?

Hi,

I'm using:

conf t

archive

path ftp://ftp-server-ip/$h-arch

write-memory

where ftp-server-ip is my FTP server IP address.

This command will make your router to send a config copy to your FTP server any time a config change has been saved by write command.

The FTP file name will be router-name-arch-num, where router-name is your router host name and num is a config version number.

See http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/docs/ios/12_3t/fun/command/reference/cfrgt_01.html#wp1094316

also.

Another possibility is using the router Flash to save the archived configs.

You can use

conf t

archive

(config)#archive

path ?

to see all possibilities.

BR,

Milan

Thanks Milan

It works. I think its simple and easy configuration.

Hi,

Can you please send the procedure how to do it on cisco works.

Thanks

Nasheer

Hi,

with CiscoWorks running, you don't need to configure anything but the SNMP and Telnet access to your routers for the CiscoWorks server.

CiscoWorks (RME) would save your configs for you then.

The "archive" config command is a solution for admins without CiscoWorks.

You can use any (freeware) FTP server or save the archived config files on the router Flashes locally (but you'd lose it if the Falsh fails.)

BR,

Milan

Hi,

Do we need to set the SNMP string to RW or it can be RO also.

Thanks

Nasheer.

In order to use Ciscoworks or any other SNMP backup method you must enable the SNMP RW string.

HTH,

Jarred

As a security policy,RW cant be configured.does any have Kiwi cat tools key .

regds

nasheer

SNMP RW is NOT necessary if you configure Telnet Enable access on your CiscoWorks server.

BR,

Milan

Hi,

There is no option in cisco works to download IOS.Please help me to find it.

Thanks

Nasheer

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: